THE BAR, PRESS, BANKS AND BUSINESS
The Early Bar
Very few members of the Henry County bar of today remember the early practitioners, or know anything of riding the circuit. There was a good deal of hard work and hard riding connected with the first sessions of courts in this county, and in fact in nearly all the counties. Long and dreary rides through an unsettled country often became monotonous, and it was then that the legal lights of early times cracked their jokes and laughed long and heartily over the amusing incidents in their circuit. Unfortunately it is impossible at the present day to obtain any personal reminiscences which would, in themselves, form an interesting chapter.
The first bar was a strong one, composed of big brained, large hearted, good natured gentlemen, whose rugged health and lively spirits added a wholesome zest to their rattling intellectual encounters and hard fought battles in the legal arena.
Judge Charles H. Allen held the first circuit court at Goff's, in August; 1835, and William B. Almond, at that time a rising member of the bar of North Missouri, came before the court as circuit attorney. The record of that court has been lost. Just who stepped to the front in those days would be hard to tell, but among those who led in the legal contests was John F. Ryland, of Lafayette County, afterwards a judge of the circuit; in fact, followed Judge Allen in 1837. Then, in 1838, came William McCord and the genial Dewitt McNutt, who rode the circuit and could get off a story in a manner that would drive dull care away, even if the mud was deep and the streams out of their banks. They were admitted to practice in the circuit court in 1838. Judge Foster P. Wright was also an attorney in those days, but it cannot be said that his future success and popularity was very discernible at that early day. Judge Wright has grown with his years.
James L. English was another of the stars that shown in the legal firmament of those days. Samuel L. Sawyer and Robert L. Stewart asked to be admitted and were at the July term, 1839, and in the month of July of the following year came Hamilton Carmichael. Waldo P. Johnson was an attorney at that time. There were many others that tried their legal ability between 1840 and 1850. William Steele was one. Thomas Raffin was another, and he proved a man of ability and secured a large practice. Mark L. Means became a lawyer in 1845, and many other names might be added to the list. Henderson Young and Robert G. Smart, both afterwards served as circuit attorneys. These men were not residents of Henry or Rives County, but practiced in her courts. Asa C. Marvin was a resident and so was L.C. Marvin, the lawyer and preacher. The former was a member of both houses of the legislature, and the latter a member of the house and its speaker in 1862-63. Dewitt C. Ballou, who was also judge of this circuit, was another who rode the circuit and rode it well. The names of those who came later is familiar to most of our readers, and quite a number of those that are here mentioned rose to a high place among the legal lights of their day.
They shone as bright stars in the legal firmament; their names have lived after them, and will go down in history, bearing with them bright, laurel wreaths of legal victories, won, or the judicial fairness whichever characterized those who wore the ermine. Thus has been slightly sketched a few of the noted. names which have graced the legal forum in days agone, and whose memories are cherished with fervor, because of the proud monument they have left of noble natures and great legal attainments.
The present bar of Clinton is a body of courteous gentlemen, whose legal attainments will compare most favorably with the best lawyers of the state. Following will be found a list of the names, with short sketches of those who now constitute the bar of Clinton.
Judge J. B. Gantt
This gentleman is a native of Georgia, having been born in Putnam County in that state, October 26, 1845. He commenced reading law in the office of Col. L. N. Whittle, one of the prominent lawyers of Macon, Georgia, and of that state. He graduated at the university of Virginia in 1858, then removed to St. Louis, and was there admitted to the bar by Judge Rombauer, of the circuit court. After one year of practice, Judge Gantt made Clinton his home, reaching here July 16, 1869, and entered the law firm of R. Allen & Co., as a partner, the other partners being Judge James Parks, and William T. Thornton, now of New Mexico. Judge Gantt retired from the firm in 1875, and removing to Sedalia, entered into partnership with George G. Vest, now United States senator. This partnership lasted two years, when the Judge again turned his eyes towards Clinton, and in 1877 made this city his permanent home. In the year 1880, Judge Gantt received the nomination and was elected judge of the twenty-second Judicial District of our state, which he has graced with a rare judicial judgment, and his courteous treatment of the bar has won him the confidence and esteem of all.
Hon. James Parks
In the early settlement of Missouri, no state was more largely represented than Kentucky - in many instances her sons and daughters being among the earliest pioneers.
Peyton and Almira Parks, the parents of Hon. James Parks, were born in Kentucky, where they were married in 1826. During the following year, October 28, 1827, James was born and was brought by his parents to Cooper County, Missouri, where they arrived in the winter of the same year.
They remained in Cooper County until 1834, when they emigrated to Henry County, the same being at that time, but little more than a wilderness, where roamed unmolested the wild animal, and the scarcely less wild Indian. Being possessed of strong arms and a brave heart, Mr. Parks reared his home, nothing daunted, and industriously applied himself to the duties before him, having an abiding faith in a better time coming. His wife died in 1847 (September) and he, after witnessing the growth of Henry County - covering a period of nearly half a century - also passed away in November, 1880, respected by all who knew him.
James obtained such an education as was afforded by the common schools of Henry County (which were very imperfect at best) in addition to what instruction was given him at home.
In 1862 he commenced the study of law, and during the year following he received the appointment of county and circuit clerks for Henry County, which positions he filled until January, 1867, in the meantime continuing his study of the law. When his term of office expired he obtained a license to practice and soon worked up a good business. In 1878 he was elected judge of the probate court and again elected in 1882, his term of office expiring in 1887. The judge is a member of the Masonic order.
He was married December 24, 1850, to Miss Mary J. Allen, a native of North Carolina. They have six children, whose names are as follows: Almira F., Laura A., Peyton A., Mattie E., Susan and Anna A.
Hon. Frederick E. Savage
is the seventh child of John and Margaret (Frizell) Savage, and was born in Lewis County, Kentucky, August 12, 1836. His educational advantages were excellent. Besides attending the common schools of his county he was a student of Delaware College, Ohio, where he received a collegiate education. In 1856 he began the study of law under the instruction of J. B. Houston, Esq., at Washington, Kentucky, and after pursuing his studies for six months he entered the law office of S. Holbrook, at Clarksburg, in the same state. There he remained for one year, when he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he continued to read law in the office of Judge William T. Wood until December 1857, when he came to Henry County, Missouri, and located at Clinton, the county seat. In 1858 he entered upon the practice of law, continuing therein until 1861, when he enlisted as first lieutenant in Company A, Owens' Battery, Southern army. After being in the army six months he resigned and returned to his native state, where he resided about a year, when he again enlisted in the Southern army, this time joining Company C, Seventh Cavalry, General John Morgan's command, with which he served as a faithful and gallant soldier until the close of the war. In 1865 he located in Scott County, Kentucky, and commenced teaching school, continuing said occupation until November 1868, when he returned to Clinton, Missouri, and immediately resumed the practice of law.
In 1874 he was elected judge of the probate court, the duties of which he faithfully and ably administered for four years. He filled the office of county attorney, one term by appointment. In May (20) 1874, he was united in marriage to Miss L. M. Mallory, who is a native of Scott County, Missouri.
Robert C. McBeth
The subject of this sketch, who has a state reputation in legal requirements, was born in Harrison County. Ohio, October 4, 1838. Here he was raised until his twenty-first year, having received a fair education, when he entered the law office of, at that time, a prominent lawyer, G. W. McIlvaine, who, at this writing is one of the judges of the supreme court of Ohio. Judge McBeth, on the completion of his studies, was admitted to the bar at New Philadelphia, where he at once engaged in a successful practice, which he continued for some time, being prosecuting attorney of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, four years. At the end of that time, or at the close of the war, the western fever struck him and he came to Missouri, stopping a short time in Warsaw, Benton County but finally settling in Clinton in the year 1866. He has held a prominent position at the Henry County bar for years, was for one term judge of the common pleas court, which had concurrent civil jurisdiction with the circuit court, but declining further service has since given his attention to the law. He has secured a very lucrative practice and is at this time at the height of his legal powers, a good speaker and an adept in legal technicalities. Judge McBeth is something of a politician, prominent in the council of the Republican party of his county and state, and has secured to himself a handsome competency.
Banton G. Boone
was born in Callaway County, Mo., October 23rd, 1838. His father, Banton G., was a native of Madison County, Kentucky, and his mother, Elizabeth Boone, was a native of the same state. He received such educational advantages as his own indomitable energies afforded. At the age of fourteen he entered a printing office in Troy, Lincoln County, to learn the printing business. In 1856 he became a resident of Clinton, Henry County, Mo., and soon after was appointed deputy circuit clerk, and held the position four years. He improved his leisure hours of day, with hours of night, fitting himself for the practice of law, and in 1859 he was admitted to the bar by Judge Foster P. Wright. His standing in the legal profession has been gained only by hard and unremitting study. A laborious student with a clear analytical mind, clearness and quickness of perception, and prompt in application he has every element which combine the lawyer and counselor. Mr. Boone has become prominently connected with the political history of the state. In 1874 he was nominated by the democrats as a candidate for the legislature, and elected by a handsome majority. He was declared the nominee of his party in the caucus for speaker, his opponents being General James Shields and M. V. L. McLelland. He was subsequently elected by a vote of ninety-six to twenty-four, J. I. Bittinger, of Buchanan, being his republican opponent. He proved to be a man well fitted for the position, and his impartiality and unpartisan conduct, together with his uniform fidelity to the public good won for him the regard of the entire general assembly. In 1872 he was a candidate before the convention for attorney general, and came within one-third of a vote of being the nominee. Politically he is a Staunch democrat, and from boyhood he has taken an active interest in all political matters. He is a close student and fondly devoted to the profession of his choice, and his future eminence lies in the legal arena, where his natural and acquired qualifications opens up to him a nobler aspiration and more enduring fame. He was married June 4th, 1874, to Miss Irene C. Rogers, a daughter of the late Dr. John A. Rogers, a prominent physician and one of Clinton's early settlers. Their family consists of two children, Bessie and Britts Gorman.
Matthew A. Fyke, Esq.
Prominent among the members of the bar of Henry County is Matthew A. Fyke. He was born in Union County, Illinois, May 27, 1848, and is the fourth child of Josiah A. and Margaret Fyke. His parents emigrated from Tennessee to the former state in their youth, and were reared in Union County, where they were married and where they now reside. Matthew received a good, practical education, and in 1866, when eighteen years of age, commenced the study of law in the office of Thomas E. Merritt, Salem, Illinois. He continued the study of law for the period of three years. In the meantime, however, he taught school in order to raise funds for his own support, while completing his studies. In May 1869, he was licensed to practice law by the supreme court, of Illinois. He practiced his profession for six months in his native county, but having a desire to move further west, believing that the western country offered superior advantages to the ambitious and energetic, of whatever trade or profession, he left Illinois and came to Henry County in 1871, locating at Clinton, where he still resides. Industriously applying himself to his profession his business has gradually increased until he now enjoys a lucrative practice. He is not only a good lawyer, but is a successful business man, being one of the stockholders of the Henry County Bank. Mr. Fyke is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was united in marriage October 19, 1871, to Miss Jennie Bennett, who was also a native of Illinois. Mrs. Fyke died May 2, 1873. They had one child, Jennie B.
Samuel B. Orem
is a native of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and he was born July 16, 1837. His father, Jonathan Orem, a native of Pennsylvania, married Elizabeth Buchanan, a native of New Jersey. When S. B. was eighteen years of age he removed to Jersey County, Illinois, and until 1862 taught school. He then enlisted in Company K, Ninety-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was commissioned first lieutenant. In the winter of 1863 and the spring of 1864 he served as assistant quartermaster at New Orleans. At the battle of Fort Blakely he was wounded in the leg and was in the hospital until mustered out of service in July, 1865. Until 1866 he was employed in the plantation department of the Freedmen's Bureau. He then returned to Jersey County, Illinois, and in 8868 came to Clinton and soon after he was appointed deputy county clerk. He also filled the position of deputy sheriff and deputy circuit clerk. In 1875, in connection with I. N. Jones, he published the Advocate, and after two years journalistic experience, he engaged in the practice of law. In 1880 he was elected city attorney. He was married June 11, 1871, to Miss Eliza E. Darby a native of New York. They have two children, Herbert H. and Arthur D.
Charles T. Collins
was born in Fayette, Howard County, Missouri, February 22, 1833, and reared there until seventeen years of age. During three and a half years of this time he was a student in Central College, Fayette. He then removed to Clinton and commenced clerking in a mercantile house and pursued this avocation until the outbreak of the war, when he enlisted in a company of Missouri State Guards commanded by Captain Owens, but on account of disability he served only a short period. In the autumn of 1862, he went to Macon City, Missouri, residing there until July 1864; then to Clay County, Illinois, where he lived one year and then returned to Clinton and resumed his former business of salesman with different firms until 1872, when he entered the law office of Fyke & Ladue. After applying himself assiduously for three years he entered into partnership with Mr. Fyke. He is a safe, reliable and successful attorney, and the firm of Fyke & Collins has a reputation not bounded by county limits. Mr. Collins was married January 6, 1868, to Miss Emma Moore, who died July 23, 1870. He was again married May 24, 1876, to Mrs. Mollie Bradley, whose maiden name was Skinner. They have two children: Edna E. and Birdie S.
Clement C. Dickinson
one of the rising attorneys of Henry County, is a native of Prince Edward County, Virginia, and was born December 6, 1849. He is a classical scholar and was graduated from Hampton and Sidney College. From 1868 until 1872 he was principally engaged in teaching school in Kentucky. In 1872 he came to Clinton, where, for three years, he was engaged in teaching, occupying his leisure hours in preparing himself for the practice of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1876 and in the fall of that year elected prosecuting attorney which office he held with signal ability and success, until January 1, 1883. As a lawyer he is a pleasant speaker and full of brilliant ideas and sound logic and he has proven himself a successful practioner. He was married December, 1882, to Miss Mattie Parks, a daughter of Judge James Parks of this city.
Hannibal H. Armstrong
is a native Missourian, having been born in Lincoln County, this state, but may be considered a Henry County boy, having arrived in this county at the tender age of two years. He was born November 3, 1852. He is a graduate of the Kentucky State University, at Lexington, Kentucky. He finished his studies in 1871, and in 1872, entered the law office of McBeth & Price, where he remained for three years, and was admitted to the bar in 1875, and also held the office of city attorney for one year. An absence for nearly two years in Texas, from 8876 to 1878, in which he was engaged in farming, gave him, on his return to Clinton, greater zest for his profession, and he now ranks as one of the leading attorneys among the younger members of the bar. He is a rising legal light, a good talker, good student, and in fact endowed with those qualities which makes the lawyer and the mail. He was married July 19, 1 882, to Miss Lucy J. Harris, of Texas.
Samuel E. Price
is a native of Ohio and he was born in Carroll County, October 26, 1841. He was educated at the McNeeley Normal School in Harrison County, that state. Having selected the practice of law as his life vocation he entered the office of J. C. Hance, a prominent attorney of New Philadelphia, Ohio, and after a thorough preparation he was admitted to the bar in Carroll County. He remained in the office of his preceptor until the fall of 1865 and in December of that year he removed to Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri, where he practiced one year and then removed to Clinton, Henry County. He formed a partnership with Judge R. C. McBeth which continued until July 1874, when they dissolved. In 1877 Mr. Price associated himself with J. Blackford and this firm continued until May, 1880, since which period he has conducted his practice alone. He is careful and methodical and to this may be attributed much of his success. He was married July 20, 1870, to Miss Carolina D. Smith, a native of Ohio. They have one son, John J.
Theodore W. Collins
was born in Boone County, Ohio, December 9, 1843. He received an academic education at the Ohio Valley Academy, of Decatur, that state. He enlisted in the Federal army during the late war in Company E, Tenth Cavalry Regiment, serving over one year. Seven months of this time was spent as drill master of Marsh's battalion. After his discharge he, in 1864, reenlisted in the Fourth Ohio Regiment, which was on escort duty, being General Howard's body guard in the march to the sea. After returning home he was engaged in teaching in his native state until 1867, when he removed to Macon City, Missouri, and taught school until 1869, devoting his leisure hours to the study of law in the office of Williams, Jones & Brock. He was admitted to the bar in Macon County, and in 1869 settled in Clinton and commenced the practice of law. He has both talents and ability and first-class business qualifications which he is utilizing in carrying on a heavy insurance business. His mind runs more to that than law and he makes little effort to secure a practice in the profession. He has held the position of mayor of Clinton and is active in educational matters. He was married August 2, 1868, to Miss E. Johnson, of Pennsylvania. They have two children, Carl F. and Maud E.
Charles A. Calvird
is a native of St. Clair County, Missouri, and he was born April 27, 1854 His youth was spent on a farm. He commenced the study of law in the office of M. A. Fyke, and was admitted to the bar in Henry County in February 1875, and though young in his profession, in 1878-9, held the office of city attorney of Clinton. His career has been one of honest, continued and successful effort, and he has a bright and promising future before him. He was married March 30, 1881, to Miss Flavia Lindsay, a native of this county, and a daughter of J. Lindsay, one of Henry County's most worthy citizens. They have one daughter, Enid.
was born in Winchester, Scott County, Illinois, on March 3, 1847. At the age of ten years his father removed to DeWitt County, Illinois, where the subject was raised and educated, receiving a good English education in the common and normal schools of Illinois. He served in the Federal army during the late war as a private. At the age of nineteen he entered the law office of the Hon. H. S. Green, a prominent railroad lawyer of that state, and remained two years, when he was admitted to the bar in May 1868, being then twenty-one years of age. In July 1881, after several years of successful practice in Illinois, he removed to Clinton, Henry County, and commenced at once the practice of his profession, where he holds a well deserved and prominent place, which his natural qualifications and hard study have given him. He was married November 26, 1872, to Miss Olive R. Longmate. Their family consists of two children: William L. and Frank. Mr. Haynie has attained to the degree of Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
Robert E. Lewis
the prosecuting attorney of Henry County, was born in the neighboring county of Cass April 3, 1857. In 1866 the family removed to Callaway County, Missouri. He was educated at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, and while teaching for three years pursued his law studies. On moving to Clinton in March, 1880, he entered the law office of Judge J. B. Gantt, and from whose office he was admitted to the bar in 1881. Mr. Lewis was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Henry County at the election of 1882, and has a splendid field to develop whatever of talent he may possess in the high and honored profession in which he has made a life engagement.
Julius C. Jennings
first came to Clinton, Missouri, in 1871. He is a native of Kennebeck County, Maine, and he was born February 11, 1853. He received his education at the Maine Wesleyan College at Kent's Hill, that state. After coming to Clinton he was for several years engaged in teaching school and studying law with C. B. Wilson. In 1875 he removed to Indiana, where for two years he held the position of superintendent of the city schools of Covington, and the following two years a similar position at Russelville, that state. In 1879 he returned to Henry County, Missouri, and began the practice of law, making his residence at Calhoun for two years. The past two years he has made his home in Clinton, where he is steadily working into a good practice.
Edward A. Gracey
is a native of White County, Tennessee, and he was born May 22, 1860. He received a liberal education and commenced the study of law in the office of D. L. Snodgrass, at Sparta, Tennessee, at the age of eighteen years, and in 1878 and 1879 attended the law school at Lebanon, Tennessee, and was admitted to the White County bar in October 1880. In February 1881 he came to Clinton, Missouri, and entered the law office of Hon. B. G. Boone and again admitted to the bar in August of that year. May 22, 1882, he was appointed a justice of the peace and the following November he was elected to this office. From his natural talents and studious habits, a bright and promising future is sure to be realized. He was married September 6, 1882, to Miss Ollie Blakemore, a native of Henry County, Missouri.
Thomas Marion Casey
The subject of this sketch is a native of Henry County, having been born in Shawnee Township, April 25, 1858. He was reared upon a farm and took a liking to the business, but was anxious to have a thorough education. In this he was supported by his parents. Having received the rudiments of an English education, and otherwise fitted himself in an advancement for a thorough collegiate course, he entered the Cumberland University, of Lebanon, Tennessee, in the opening fall term, 1877, in the nineteenth year of his age. He made rapid progress and graduated with high honors from the literary department in 1881. He returned home for the summer vacation, and in the fall again returned to Lebanon and entered the law department, which has become famous for its thorough course of studies, and the number of legal lights that claim it as their Alma Mater. In June 1883, he graduated from the law department, received his diploma, and was admitted to the bar. Armed with the proof of his talents and hard study, he again returned home, and soon after entered the law office of the Hon. Banton G. Boone, where for nearly a year he has steadily pursued his legal studies, and will undoubtedly become a member of the bar of Henry County.
The Press of Clinton
There are but few towns of the state outside of the metropolitan cities which have had a more able and entertaining public press than Clinton. The press has done much to advance the material prosperity of the town and it should be encouraged by a liberal support. The character of the citizens of a town or city is known and judged by its press, and in very many cases a newspaper has been in advance of the people, yet the press itself has not done justice to the extent of its power for good, because the people with whom it lived gave it but a meager, if not a sort of starvation support. Let the citizens give their newspapers a generous subscription and advertising patronage, and in the end they will reap a threefold benefit. It is bread cast upon the waters, to be returned after many days.
The first paper published in the City of Clinton was known as the Clinton Journal, and the first number was issued April 26th, 1858. Its publisher was Isaac E. Olney, who remained with it until it suspended in the year 1861, on account of the then opening of the civil war. The paper might have been said to have been neutral in political matters, the editor devoting his time to local affairs of town and county. He received the official printing of the county, and in the year 1858 received $49.50 for publishing the first financial statement of Henry County ever given to the public. Mr. Olney removed from Clinton in the summer of 1861, to Garnet, Kansas, at which place it is said he died some years since. Clinton was then a small town of less than 500 inhabitants, and the paper, which was a seven column sheet, columns fourteen ems, pica, wide, was really a credit to the place.
During the time of the civil war, no paper was published in Clinton or in Henry County, until January 22, 1866. The Advocate was then started by G. Sellers, and the same year Mr. Will H. Lawrence brought an interest and the firm was Sellers & Lawrence. Mr. Will H. Lawrence purchased the paper in 1867 and continued its editor and proprietor for eight years and over, leasing the office to Mr. I. N. Jones, March 1, 1873, for one year. The Advocate was Republican in politics, and was one of the most influential weeklies of the party in the state, and still continues to hold a leading position in its party and in this section of country. Mr. I. N. Jones took charge as above stated, with W. N. Pickerill as his editor. A Mr. Palmer was associated with him a short time. At the end of the year, Mr. Will H. Lawrence having returned, he again took possession from March 5, 1874. Mr. Lawrence continued its publication until December 9, 1875, although from September 30, 1875, to above date, it was again in Mr. Jones' hands, as Lawrence was on a visit to New Mexico. On December 9, 1875, as above dated, Mr. Lawrence finally closed his connection with the Advocate forever and sold the same to I. N. Jones and Samuel B. Orem. These gentlemen took charge and for the first time in the history of Clinton journalism employed a local or city editor, and it is no reflection whatever to say that neither before or since has the local columns of the Advocate sparkled with such life and light, as while under control of Mrs. Kate M. Jones.
Mrs. Jones had been connected with the paper for many years and was known far and wide as a "lightning compositor." She could set up, justify and correct her sticks, from 16,000 to 18,000 ems of solid nonpareil in the space of ten hours, and did set up 1,922 ems of solid nonpareil in one hour. Perhaps the average citizen does not know how fast work that is, but a printer and those connected with newspapers know that there is not over one in a thousand printers who can perform that feat. To an outsider it can be explained as being somewhat of the nature of a railroad train going so fast as to make the telegraph poles assume the appearance of a picket fence while riding along.
The firm of Jones & Orem continued until February 8, 1877, when Mrs. Kate M. Jones bought Mr. Orem's interest, and the firm's name was changed to I.N. Jones & Co. This continued until February 28, 8878, when Mr. Jones having been confirmed as postmaster of Clinton post office, Mrs. Jones took full possession of the office, assuming editorial as well as proprietary control. This continued until August 8, 1878, when Mrs. Jones sold the office to W.H. and J.B. Davis. These gentlemen remained only a little over a year, and then sold the paper to O.L. and C.H. Newton December 1, 1879. Owing to ill health and death in the family of one of the proprietors, they only conducted the paper about nine months, when they sold it, August 19, 1880, to Mr. S.C. Mace, the present proprietor, who has kept up the paper to its previous standard of excellence, and it is still the organ of its party in this section of the state. Mr. Mace came from Illinois, where he had conducted in past years the Greenville (Illinois) Advocate and the Belleville Republican, and was also connected with the St. Louis Tribune.
Mr. Mace has a model office, well equipped with all the necessary material for a first class newspaper and job office, with a power press and one of the most beautiful little steam engines to be found anywhere. The mechanical department is under the charge of Mr. T.O. Smith, who fully sustains its character as a first class newspaper and job office. On January 29, 1883, the proprietor of the Advocate started a daily - a handsome six column newspaper, the first issued, and with bright promises for success.
This paper, as the name implies, is the representative of the Democratic party in Henry County. It first threw its banner to the breeze in 1868, and its editor was Mr. Joshua Ladue. The paper was purchased by W. H. Davis in the spring of 1872, who began to improve it, and give it life. He purchased a power press in June 1872, and adding other new material, he was soon in possession of a first class office. He was an aggressive editor and although on friendly personal terms with Mr. Lawrence, of the Advocate, the political spats were often, and sometimes pretty severe on both sides. Mr. Davis continued sole proprietor until 1874, when Mr. William T. Thornton, one of the rising young men of Clinton, and possessed of wealth, united with Mr. Davis, and the firm was Davis & Thornton. This continued until 1876, when Mr. Thornton had been elected to the legislature, and Mr. Davis, wishing to try his fortune in another business, the office was sold to Mr. Benjamin R. Lingle and Mr. Frank Mitchell, September 10, 1876.
Mr. Thomas J. Lingle bought his brother Benjamin's interest August 28th, 1877, the firm's name remaining the same until 1878, when George R. Lingle united with his brother Thomas, by purchasing the interest of Mr. Mitchell, and the firm's name was changed to Lingle Bros. These gentlemen are still editors and proprietors, and the Democrat is on this 1st day of January, 1883, stronger in influence, more solid financially, and enjoying a greater degree of prosperity than ever before in the history of the paper. It has, also, its power press, all the paraphernalia of a model office, is published in its own building, and is wielding a strong and successful influence in the ranks of the democratic party. Its new office is situated on the first floor of the new Democrat block, and is one of the best arranged and convenient offices in the state. The Lingle Bros. attend strictly to business, overseeing in person the business and mechanical departments, as well as the editorial. Their success may be attributed in a large measure to this close attention to business, combined with a practical knowledge of it in all its parts, and close economy in its management. The success which has thus far attended their efforts is well deserved, and as Clinton shall grow in population and wealth, the Democrat will enlarge and keep step to the music of progress, and like its neighbor, continue to be an institution of which the people of Clinton and Henry Counties may well be proud.
The Clinton Enterprise
This paper was started in the year 1872, November 9th of that year, and was under the charge of L.G. Schofield, who failed to make it a success. He published it about a year, and then sold out, the material becoming the property of Will H. Lawrence. The latter took the material to Fort Worth, Texas, started a paper and sold out within a year.
The Southwest Missouri Look Out was the name of a paper which succeeded the Enterprise, but like the latter, it soon climbed the golden stair. Drs. Birge and Miller were the proprietors.
This paper first came into existence in the year 1873, by W. S. Walker, and like its predecessor, the Enterprise, failed to coin ducats, and succumbed to the inevitable. At that time Clinton was too small to support three papers. The News was a bright sheet, but the field was occupied, the expenditures exceeding its income and death or suspension claimed it for its own. Mr. Walker removed to California.
This paper had a fleeting existence of a little less than two years, and as its name indicates, was politically independent. It was a seven column folio and was owned and edited by R. F. Stevenson. It was a fair local paper and its columns showed a good advertising patronage, but like a few of its creed, failed to strike favorably the public pulse, and it became a thing of the past.
This paper is the representative of the Greenback-Labor party and otherwise is independent in all matters of local importance. The first issue of the paper was November 7, 1881, by W. G. Church & Sons, and presents a neat typographical appearance. It is a seven column paper and is influential in the field of politics, in the faith it represents. It is outspoken in its belief, and has a manly independence that is a credit to the newspaper profession.
One other attempt to start a newspaper was made by C. F. Gates, and called the Journal, but it was not looked upon with favor even at the start, and it required but a few months to place it on the suspended list, as that of the dear, departed defunct. It existed about six months, but it cannot be said to have lived at all. The newspapers have a number of dead to the account of Clinton, but it may be said that those which have lived were the survival of the the fittest. The newspaper field of Henry County is now filled, and all are worthy representatives of their creeds and professions.
Business Progress - from 1874 to 1883
The business interests of Clinton and its growth the past nine years, may be seen from the statement given below. The list for 1874, was made out April 1st, and that of 1883, on February 1st. The increase has been as marked as the increase of population. Still, with an agricultural population at this time of fully 20,000, Clinton could as well sustain 5,000 citizens us 3,000.
Business Directory of Clinton, April 1, 1874
Business Directory, February 1, 1883
The Banks of Clinton - Salmon & Salmon, Bankers
This is the oldest banking institution in Clinton, and one of the pioneer institutions in west Missouri. Even its present quarters put you in mind of olden times. There is a musty look about which tells of long use and rather cramped quarters, but its looks indicates solidity and its inside business does not belie its looks. It is run by business men and managed by shrewd financiers.
On December 1, 1866, Salmon & Stone opened a banking house upon the public square of Clinton. It was mixed in among a lot of law rookeries that even the staid old county court judges couldn't stand any longer and they ordered them to leave, and not stand upon the order of their going but go at once. For a week or so Clinton had the appearance of a moving city, and she more than doubled her stabling facilities in that two weeks. Well in one of those old shells the now famous banking house of Salmon & Salmon cut both its wisdom teeth and eye teeth. They had an old iron safe, some three chairs, a pine counter and was looked upon as having rather a stylish outfit in those days. They have, however, outgrown all that, and like the United States treasury of the present time, they have to get more room to hold their money, and so the old safe has been changed for a vault, a late style of safe with time locks.
Firm and Capital
The firm was composed of George Y. Salmon, Harvey W. Salmon and DeWitt C. Stone. The capital stock was $50,000 and its business opened about as soon as its doors. Its circle of depositors was not confined to Clinton or to the boundary line of Henry County, but was the principal banking house covered by four counties. The business of the firm increased, and it remained under the name of Salmon & Stone for some seven years, or until January 1, 1873, when DeWitt C. Stone, retiring, his interest being purchased by the Messrs. Salmon, the firm's name was changed to Salmon & Salmon, the partners being George Y. and Harvey W. Salmon, brothers. Mr. D. C. Stone removed to St. Louis soon after, and died April 7, 1877.
From the above beginning the business has grown and prospered, and what it is and how it has advanced may be gathered from the following financial exhibit of the bank at the close of business on the 15th day of December, 1882, as given for publication:
Its average deposits now reach $400,000 a year.
First National Bank
This bank was started under the name of the Clinton Savings Bank, October 5, 1871, and made its first financial statements of its liabilities and resources, January 18, 1872. This statement was from commencing of business, as above stated, to January 1, 1882, and was as follows:
The bank continued in business as a savings bank until February 28, 1882. William H. Cock was its president, and C. C. Jones, cashier.
At the above date, or on March 1, 1882, the First National Bank opened its doors to the public as successor to the Clinton Savings Bank, with a paid up capital of $50,000, William H. Cock being its first president, and C.C. Jones its first cashier. It had a fair business start and has steadily grown in strength and in the confidence of the business community.
In 1875, July 1st, its exhibits of liabilities and resources were:
The growth of the bank will be seen from the above, and the exhibit made January 1, 1883, which is here given :
The following have been presidents and cashiers of the bank in the order named, the last being the present officers of the bank:
When Organized - W.H. Cock, president; C.C. Jones and J.M. Avery, cashiers.
A.C. Avery, president W.D. Tyler, cashier.
J.G. Dorman, president; W.M. Doyle, cashier.
J.M. Avery, president; W.D. Tyler, cashier.
Henry County Bank
This is comparatively a new institution for public favor, having been organized in April, 1881, but did not get ready for business until June 1, 1881. It then opened its doors with a paid up capital of $25,000 and all the paraphernalia of a banking house for a sound and progressive banking business. Its stockholders and directors represent some of the most prominent citizens and wealthy and active business men. Its first president was A.P. Frowein and W.D. Tyler, cashier. It does a general banking business and pays special attention to collections.
Directors - James Brannum, G.C. Haysler, J.W. Middlecoff, S. Blatt, A.P. Frowein, S.E. Cheek, M.A. Fyke, A.M. Rhodes, Joseph White.
Present Officers - James Brannum, president; A.M. Rhodes, vice president; A.P. Frowein, cashier; W.B. Calvird, assistant cashier.
Its liabilities and resources, January 1, 1883, were as follows:
Clinton Post Office From 1837 to 1883
The post office of Clinton was opened in the spring of 1837, and Benjamin F. Wallace was its first postmaster. The office was kept in the store of Wallace Bros. on the north side of the square, and on the northeast corner. It was not much of an office in those days, the salary for the first ten years never reaching $100 per annum, and the first few years scarcely amounted to anything. The postmasters who have represented this office are here given, with years of their appointments:
Postmasters of Clinton
1837 - Benjamin F. Wallace
1847 - Asaph W. Bates
1853 - Thomas H. Rogers
1857 - William H. Schroder
1860 - John Vance
1861 - J. G. Dorman
1862 - Benjamin Whiting
1864 - Dr. G. M. Britts
1866 - William Weaver
1868 - Phillip Zeal
1872 - John W. Fyke
1875 - Daniel H. Sullivan
1878 - I. N. Jones
The growth of the office has kept pace with the growth of the city and county, and of late years seems to have rather advanced beyond that point. The number of pieces mailed in a period of seven days in December 1879, was 4,865, while in the same time in 1880 was 8,418. Here was a pretty lively gain in twelve months, being nearly 75 percent. The number of lock boxes in 1880 was 162, and call boxes 214, in use, and the office was made an international money order office April 1st, 1880. Money can be sent through this office to Great Britain and Ireland, Germany, France and Algiers. An effort was made by the writer to get later statistics, but it failed. Why he knows not.
Manufactures - What it Ought to Be
Clinton in this respect is rather behind the age, and her population can only increase as the county increases, unless there is an effort made to build up manufactories. These bring people, consumption is increased and production is advanced in a corresponding ratio. This is a legitimate enterprise and brings wealth to the county and people instead of carrying it sway. It enlarges the market for home production, and the skill of the mechanic is added to the cost of production, and this is secured for home benefit.
The first steam flouring mill in Clinton was owned by William W. Wall & Son, and was called the Tebo Steam Mill. It commenced operation in the year 1858. The present Tebo Mill is something of a contrast to the mill of 1858. The first had two run of burrs, both for custom work, the present mills would hardly care to run in that style.
Tebo Mills of 1883
The mill is owned by James Brannum, and was erected in 1868. Since then it has been improved, by putting in place the latest patents in milling machinery. It has now five run of burrs and three sets of rolls for making the patent flour. It is exclusively a merchants mill, no custom work being done. Its capacity is 160 barrels of flour every twenty-four hours. In connection with the mill is a fine wheat elevator 40x50 feet in size. The mill proper is built of brick and stone, 40x60 feet, and a packing addition 32x80 feet. The mill complete represents a capital invested of $50,000.
This is another first-class mill, so far as its appointments go. It is a frame structure 40x64 feet in size, has two run of burrs, and like the first named is a merchant's mill. It was erected in 1867 by J. G. Middelcoff, who is still its proprietor. The mill has a capacity of sixty barrels of flour per day, and is represented by an investment of $10,000 besides working capital.
This is an important branch of business in Clinton and probably few of its citizens are aware of the number of cigars manufactured in their own city, and this item will be both news and information to a large number.
Elk Cigar Factory
This is the oldest establishment in Clinton and was started in 1874. This factory makes nineteen different brands of cigars, from the pure Havana down through the grades to the common cigar. There are employed ten to fifteen hands the year round and 400,000 cigars are turned out annually. The proprietor is John G. Thume.
The cigar manufactory of Strong & Pechstein, in the Democrat Block, is the largest manufactory in the city. They employ from twenty to twenty-five hands, run sixteen tables, and their books show an actual number of 601,250 cigars for their year's work, that of 1882. They have some thirty different brands, and prices range from $2.50 to $65 per 1,000. They commenced business in 1878, and their sales book also showed over $600,000 sold during the year. They have some $9,000 invested in their business and propose to turn out over 1,000,000 cigars for 1883, January showing a little over 70,000 for the month.
Hutchinson & Kitchen
manufacturers, are exclusively in the line of cigar manufacture. They show a bona fide number of 450,000 for the year 1882, and for 1883 propose to reach fully 600,000 cigars. They invest in machinery and working capital some $6,000. They make some fifteen different brands, work nine tables and prices range about the same. They opened business May 1st, 1881, and they have so far been trying to keep up with their orders, without being compelled to solicit.
G. D. Elges
is the manufacturer of fine Havana and domestic cigars, and while not doing a large business is keeping three hands steadily employed, and last year turned out 125,000. He started business October 4th, 1880, and has put about $1,000 into his business. Mr. Elges is a mechanical genius and has invented a new patent cigar mould, which saves both time and money. He has in this patent invested some $1,500, and he is now manufacturing a large number. The work is done in St. Louis, and he is likely to come out with a handsome sum of money.
The grand aggregate then, is in round numbers 1,576,250 cigars manufactured in Clinton in the year 1882, while that of 1883 is likely to exceed two and one-quarter millions. So much for this department of manufactures, and it is a pity that the manufacturing interest of Clinton is not more varied and progressive.
Carriage and Wagon Manufacture
The carriage and wagon manufactory of Peter Alfter was started in January, 1881. Mr. Alfter carried on the business for one year, when, on January 1, 1882, he took in a partner, and the firm since then has been known as Alfter & Moser. They are both practical mechanics and make a specialty of carriages and wagons, also buggies, and have in connection a large repairing department and blacksmithing. They have $6,000 invested and their sales last year were between $10,000 and $12,000. They are now working ten hands, and the demand for their work will compel them to increase this number the present year.
John Oechsli, Manufacturer
This gentleman has probably the largest carriage and wagon manufactory between St. Louis and Kansas City at this day, and yet he started in 1870 with nominal or small capital. The firm name was Oechsli & Kilmer and so continued until January 1, 1882. Since that time the business has been conducted by the gentleman whose name heads this article and who is sole proprietor. This business is not exclusively given to fine work such as carriages, buggies, etc., which he s making a specialty, but his farm wagons, plows and harrows have a wide reputation for first-class work of the kind. He has also a large blacksmith and repairing shop in connection with his work, as also a paint shop. He turns out his work complete. He has a working and invested capital of $10,000, and his sales for 1882, reach the sum of $22,000. He has on hand from sixteen to eighteen men constantly employed.
There are several other large blacksmith shops which do a good business of ironing of wagons, etc., besides their regular work, but can scarcely come under the name of manufactories.
Items of Interest
· Ermie A. Nave, now Mrs. Hall, claims to have been the first child born in Clinton, and her birth is given as February 12, 1834. As Henry or Rives County was not then known, and Clinton itself being still in the womb of the future, it is safe to say that the lady is not so old by three years as she claims to be. In fact, Mrs. Hall must have been born in 1837, and without doubt was the first child born in the city. The third room of the celebrated, of that day, Nave's Hotel, on Franklin Street has been credited with the place of her birth.
· They have a place on the west side of the town called "Lover's Leap." All first-class towns, with hills and ravines close by, have a Lover's Leap.
· The Clinton Silver Cornet Band was organized in 1869 and became quite a noted band of musicians. Their second set of instruments cost $1,000. It flourished for about six years. It is dead.
· August 22, 1872, the Adams Express Company's office, in Lock's grocery, was robbed of $1,080. The thieves got in through the cellar. No recovery.
· A hook and ladder company was founded in Clinton January 24, 1873. It is not now known where the company or the ladder is.
· In 1872 Clinton was honored by having one of her citizens, Hon. Harvey W. Salmon, elected treasurer of the state.
· The election of 1874 resulted in a general assembly which again honored Clinton by choosing Hon. Banton G. Boone as speaker of the house.
· In June 1875, on the 28th, H.S. Reynolds, past grand master of Illinois and then grand patron of this state, visited Clinton and organized a chapter of the Eastern Star Lodge of Masonry. About sixty-six wives and daughters of Masons were enrolled as members of Magnolia, No. 99, next to the largest in the state. The officers were: B.L. Quarles, worthy patron; Mrs. William Thornton, worthy matron; Mrs. John Fike, worthy assistant matron; Mrs. Peeler, treasurer; J.N. Cook, secretary; Miss Cora Garth, worthy conductress, and Miss Blanche Stewart, worthy associate conductress.
· The fire of November 19, 1876, resulted in the greatest loss of any fire the city ever had. It destroyed several buildings on the northeast corner of the square, east side, the Fulkerson & Parks building being one of the finest in the city and three stories high. Fulkerson & Parks lost on building about $15,000 and on drug stock $7,500, insurance $15,800; Dr. Dimmitt, surgical instruments and library, $800; Clinton Cornet Band, instruments, $300; furniture, etc., Odd Fellows, insured, $500; furniture, etc., A. F. & A. M., $1,200, insurance, $800; Heckles' saloon, $300, insured; the building belonging to Dr. Williams, $500, insured for $300; Samuel Williams' loss, $500, no insurance. Goods in the express office were destroyed upon which were charges amounting to $75; value of goods not known. This was the principal damage. The heat broke some glass and other light damages were sustained, but not of any great value. Take it altogether and it was the most disastrous conflagration that ever visited Clinton since its incorporation. The fire was believed to have been the work of an incendiary.
· The Clinton Literary Club was organized in the fall of 1876. Peyton Parks was president; Royal J. Burge, vice president; S. Sherman, secretary, and C.C. Dickinson, treasurer. It has ceased to exist.
· October 3, 1876, John Spranck, a German, was killed by the cars near the residence of John P. Watkins.
· A board of trade was organized in Clinton, December 19, 1877. Judge Dorman was made chairman; Jason Blackford, secretary. Everybody who had a spare dollar could join. Twenty-five members enrolled themselves. Judge Dorman was elected president and C.C. Dickinson, secretary. It then gradually passed out of existence.
· February 14,1878, the people of Clinton voted upon the proposition to become a city of the fourth class. The vote stood 133 in its favor to one against.
· Asa Smith, a cooper by trade, while going to his dinner, May 29, 1878, during a storm, was struck by lightning and killed.
· The following additions to the town and city of Clinton, have been added since her original boundary was formed: Smith & Sullivan's, Berry's, Allen's, Avery's, Weaver's, Vail's, Berrigman's, Cruce's, Roger's, Davis', Fair Ground, Railroad, Williams' 1st and 2d, McLean's 1st and 2d, Mean's 1st, 2d and 3d, and Boyer's 1st, 2d and 3d.
· On the night of September 4, 1881, the St. Stephen's Hotel was burned. It was an old landmark, having been erected in 1848, by Joseph Davis.
· About 2:30 o'clock Thursday morning, December 28, 1882, flames were discovered in the rear portion - next to the railroad track - of the frame livery stable, formerly occupied by James Duncan, on the east side of the square. It spread with great rapidity, and the entire block of frames adjoining on the south, occupied by S. Hirsch's wool and hide house and saloon; R. H. Allison & Co.'s agricultural implement store; J. C. Seifred's meat market, and Irvin Couse's grocery store, were destroyed. The fire was the work of incendiaries.
· The old Pollard building, owned by Messrs. Frowein Bros., was erected about forty years ago for a hotel, and occupied by Bates, Rogers, Bush, Estes, Pollard and Gilbert. A few years ago it was remodeled, and since then occupied as business stands. This removed another of the old landmarks of the city, but it is hardly one the citizens will regret.
· In February, 1883, Clinton voted for the erection of gas works with but one single vote against it, so that the summer of 1883 will see the "Model City" lighted by gas. In the early fall of 1882 a time ball was established in Clinton, and her people since have run their business and commerce and end their toil by true time.
· The spring of 1883 will, also, commence the work for a railroad to Osceola, in St. Clair County, the business men of Clinton having contributed the depot grounds at a cost of $5,000. If the road is finished to Osceola the coming summer, the merchants and business men have made the best investment of their lives.
· The opening of the year 1883 is full of bright future, and material progress has a firm foothold in Clinton at this time. A commendable public spirit has started, and none too soon. Let it be fostered.
Clinton's Present Boundary
With the numerous additions to the City of Clinton, her boundary lines have been frequently changed. At this time the city limits cover the area within the compass of one and a half miles on each side, or one and a half miles square. This area is described as follows:
The east half and the east half of the west half of section 3; the west half and the west half of the east half of section 2; the northeast quarter and the east half of the northwest quarter of section 10; the northwest quarter and the west half of the northeast quarter of section 11, all in township 41, range 26.
This boundary was made of record July 31st, 1881, and is the present area of the city.
The distance from Clinton to Chicago is 462 miles; St. Louis, 227; Kansas City, 80; Sedalia, 40; Windsor (County), 19; Calhoun, 12; Lewis Station, 7; Ladue, 6; Montrose, 12; Appleton City, St. Clair County, 20; Osceola, St. Clair County, 28. This is by railroad. Two points, however, are not yet connected at the distances named. The first, Kansas City, and the other Osceola, but are likely to be within the current year.