Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1842, St. Clair Co, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1126
JOSEPH YANCE, a member of the well known establishment of Stout & Co., was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, November 11, 1842. His parents were among the first settlers of Taber Township. He was reared to manhood on his father's farm and obtained his education in the common schools. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, Colonel Shelby's battalion, serving until paroled at Fort Scott, Kansas, in June, 1865. He then farmed in Vernon County, Missouri, for eight months, and later went to Platte County, Missouri. In the fall of 1866 he returned to St. Clair County and lived here until 1873, when he took a trip to California. After one year he came back here and farmed until 1881 Then he became identified with the firm of Stout & Co. Mr. Yance was married November 19, 1868, to Miss Mary Ketcham, of Indiana. They have four children: Bertha B., Nona K. L., Tamer B. and Louis A.
Collins Township, St. Clair County
born: 1814, Germany
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1178
FRANCIS YOAST, farmer and stock dealer, section 16, is the son of John Yoast, who was born in Germany in 1794, emigrating to the United States in 1808 with his father - a cooper by trade, he having come to this country to follow that occupation. He first located in Virginia, and after living there one year went to Ohio, and in 1810 emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. In 1812 John Yoast was married to Miss Elizabeth Ware, of Blount County, Tennessee. From this marriage there was born on the 23d day of December, 1814, a son, Francis. The senior Yoast, together with his family, came to Missouri in 1836, locating in Collins Township, of this county, and our subject has done much toward its improvement since his residence here. At that time this county was known as Rives, and he has often visited Osceola when it contained but one store. In 1838 one of the first, if not the first marriage ceremonies, was solemnized in Collins Township. During the late war Mr. Yoast was actively engaged in the cause of the union. He is a member of the Methodist Church and politically a Greenbacker, though formerly a Republican. He owns 265 acres of land.
Taber Township, St. Clair County
born: 1810, Wythe Co, VA
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1224
ANDREW YONCE, one of the pioneers of St. Clair County, who resides on section 12, of this township, is a son of John Yonce, a native of Virginia, and of German descent. Andrew was born in Wythe County, Virginia, April 3, 1810. He was there reared and educated in both English and German schools. November 10, 1830, he was married to Miss Esther Coulthard, and in 1838 they moved to St. Clair County, Missouri, locating on Big Monegaw, three miles northeast of where he now resides. He afterwards entered the land that comprises his present farm, which contains 160 acres, a portion of which is underlaid with a rich vein of coal. When he first settled in this vicinity his nearest neighbor was five miles distant and the Indians were more numerous than the white men. His trading points were Osceola and Harmony Mission, his post office being at the former place. He and his wife are members of the M. E. Church and for some two years religious services were held at their residence. Mrs. Yonce was born in England, November 25, 1814. She was a daughter of Thomas and Ester (Craig) Coulthard, who crossed the sea with nine children in 1829, and located in Wythe County, Virginia. Mrs. Y. was educated in England. Their family have numbered twelve children, nine of whom are living. Joseph T., born November 11, 1842, and married November 16, 1868, Miss Mary E. Ketcham, of Indiana; Flarvious J., born May 4, 1844, married June 5, 1873, Miss Susanna Burke; William H., born July 4, 1846, married November 14, 1875, Miss Mary E. Campbell; John A., born September 10, 1849, and married July 19, 1875, Miss Rebecca Burke; Frances, born October 11, 1840, married February 22, 1866, A. C. Ditty; Maria L., born December 12, 1847, and married April 22, 1869, A. Landon; Henrietta E., born November 6, 1853, married March 13, 1873, John B. Ditty; Florence O., born August 31, 1856, married February 4, 1877, G. L. Woolsey; Adriana C., born June 21, 1858, married July 4, 1878, H. Landon.
YOUNG, Lawrence Perry
Honey Creek Township, Henry County
born: Aug 16 1843
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:637
Lawrence P. Young of Honey Creek township, is a Union veteran of the Civil War and an interesting pioneer of Henry County. He was born in Athens County, Ohio, August 16, 1843, and is a son of Dr. William Young, and Judith (Boyles) Young. Doctor Young was also a native of Athens County, Ohio, and removed to Illinois in 1845, when Lawrence, the subject of this sketch, was two years old. In 1867 he came to Henry County, and located at Calhoun, and practiced medicine there and in that vicinity for a number of years. He was one of the pioneer doctors of Henry County; he died in 1882 and his remains are buried at Cardville, Missouri. His wife, was also a native of Ohio and she departed this life in 1872, and her remains are buried at Brownington, Missouri. They were the parents of the following children: Lawrence P., the subject of this sketch; William, deceased; Walter, lives at Blue Jacket, Oklahoma; Charles, deceased. Lawrence P. Young was educated in the public schools of Illinois and spent his boyhood days not unlike the average boy of that time. After the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in the spring of 1862 at Clinton, Illinois, in Company E, 117th Illinois Infantry, and served in the Union Army for three years, lacking nine days. His regiment was with Sherman's army when they started on the memorable campaign to the sea, but the 117th Regiment was ordered back to St. Louis for the defense of that city. Mr. Young saw much hard service during the course of his military career and participated in a number of important engagements and skirmishes. At the close of the war he was mustered out by general order of the War Department at Springfield, Illinois. In 1867, Mr. Young came to Henry County, Missouri, and first settled at Brownington, his mother having bought land prior to this time, adjoining the townsite of Brownington. Here he resided until 1874, when he removed to Big Creek township and in 1883 purchased a farm in Honey Creek township, upon which he now resides. He has a valuable farm of one hundred thirty acres, located a short distance southwest of Garland. Mr. Young was united in marriage in 1885 to Miss Anna Eli, daughter of William and Margaret Eli, pioneer settlers of Big Creek township, who settled in Henry County in the forties. The father was a native of Indiana and the mother of Kentucky. He died in 1874 and his wife died in, 1872, and their remains rest in the family cemetery in Big Creek township. They were the parents of the following children: Anna, the wife of Lawrence P. Young, the subject of this sketch; Aaron, lived in Kansas: Mrs. Nancy DePew, Bogard township; Mrs. Mary Shideler, lives in California; and Mrs. Sarah Trent, Moberly, Missouri; Edwin, Banning, Colorado; and Reuben, Dalton, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Young have been born the following children: Edna, deceased; Ethel, resides at home with her parents; Henry, married Lena Howard, resides at Clinton, Missouri; Monti, married Bessie Middaugh, Honey Creek township. Lawrence P. Young is well entitled to be classed among the pioneers of Henry County. When he first came to Honey Creek township, which was long after he settled in the county, there was not a railroad in that township, nor a bridge. He has frequently hauled goods from Warrensburg, the nearest railroad point, to Clinton, for fifty cents per hundred, and when he hauled goods from Sedalia to Brownington he received $1.25 per hundred. During the early days he did a great deal of freighting. He recalls when Cook's Old Mill and Jackson's Mill were the only places in this section where the settlers could get their flour and meal ground. He says that the early settlers came from great distances to get their grinding done at Jackson's Mill and frequently the mill was so crowded with work that settlers would have to camp and wait two or three days to get their grinding done. Mr. Young is now in his seventy-fifth year and he says he does not remember of ever taking a dose of medicine in his life. He is one of the few Union veterans of the Civil War now living in Henry County, and the only one left in Honey Creek township, and he says he can recall only one Confederate veteran now living in that township, Thomas Cowden. Mr. Young and Mr. Cowden have been what he terms "old cronies" for many years.
YOUNG, Oglesby Love
Windsor, Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Sep 17 1835, St. Charles Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:550
Oglesby Love Young - Longevity and large families are the most striking attributes of the Young family of Missouri. Besides being a son of parents to whom were born a large family of thirteen children, Oglesby Love Young, retired farmer of Windsor, Missouri, has also reared a large family of eleven children. In addition to this he has accumulated a splendid farm and sufficient of this world's goods to maintain him in peace and comfort for the remainder of his days. Oglesby Love Young was born in St. Charles County, Missouri, September 17, 1835, the son of Oglesby and Jane (Love) Young, to whom were born thirteen children, only three of whom survive. Oglesby Young was a native of Virginia and settled in St. Charles County, Missouri, as early as 1833. His farm was located fifty-two miles west of St. Louis and he spent the remainder of his days on the place which he developed from a wilderness, dying at the ripe old age of eighty-eight years. Mrs. Jane Young was born in Kentucky and died in 1861 at the age of forty-eight years. O. L. Young, subject of this sketch, began his active career as an ox driver on the construction of the Wabash railway through St. Charles County. For several months he was employed in railroad construction work. He enlisted in 1862 as a member of the Missouri State Militia and saw six months' active service within the borders of the State. He then followed farming in St. Charles County until 1881, when he came to Henry County and settled on bottom land three and a half miles southwest of Windsor in Windsor township. Mr. Young purchased a total of 360 acres upon which he placed splendid improvements. In 1914 he purchased another farm and now owns 273 acres of well improved land. During his active years, Mr. Young was an extensive corn and tobacco grower and raised considerable live stock. December 20, 1917, Mr. Young purchased a home in Windsor where he is now residing. March 4, 1862, O. L. Young and Charlotte V. Bird were united in marriage. Mrs. Charlotte Young was born in St. Charles County, Missouri June 2, 1840. She and Mr. Young were sweethearts from their boyhood and girlhood days. She was reared along the right of way of the Wabash railroad and could hear her future husband yelling at the oxen he was driving when he was doing his first gainful labor on his own account. Twelve children have blessed this marriage: Fannie, widow of Robert Finley, Sedalia, Missouri; Mary Nettie, wife of George Huston, Colorado; Arthur E., Prior, Oklahoma; Marshall, Globe, Arizona; William, Salt Lake, Utah; John L., living on the Young home place in Windsor township; Sallie, wife of Clint Nicholas, Stevens, Missouri; Mattie, wife of Doctor Butler, a veterinarian at Montrose, Missouri; Anna, wife of Joseph G. Burchman, Windsor township; Stella, wife of Joseph Martin, Stevens, Missouri; Charlie, Globe, Arizona; one child died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Young have a total of thirty-five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Mr. Young has long been allied with the Democratic party, but during his life time he has taken no more than a good citizen's interest in political matters. He and Mrs. Young are members of the Methodist Church and are looked upon as two of the most highly respected citizens of Windsor and Henry County.
YOUNG, Oglesby Love
Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Sep 17 1835, St. Charles Co, MO
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:604
Oglesby L. Young, farmer and stock raiser, was born September 17, 1835, in St. Charles County, Missouri, where he received a good education. His parents were Oglesby Young, born in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, and a farmer by occupation, and Jane (Love) Young. who was born in 1809 in the same state. They were married in 1824 and had twelve children, of whom there are eight living. In 1831 they emigrated from Virginia to St. Charles County, Missouri. Mrs. Young died in 1860, since which time Mr. Y. has resided in that county, and though seventy-nine years of age, is still strong and robust. Oglesby L. Young married Miss Charlotte Virginia Bird, of St. Charles County, March 4, 1862. By their marriage there have been eleven children, six sons and five daughters, ten of whom survive. He remained in his native county until October 3, 1882, when he came to Henry County, settling in Windsor Township, where he has bought 356 acres of farming land under fine improvement on section 23, two and a half miles south of Windsor. He is one of the enterprising farmers of his locality, and is intending to raising stock to a large extent. He served as one of the State Guards under General Sterling Price for six months during the war; then returned home and bought a farm of 120 acres in St. Charles County, which he commenced to cultivate. After living upon it for about twelve years he sold it and purchased one consisting of 156 acres in the same county, where he remained until coming to Henry County. Religiously, he and his wife are Methodists. In his political preferences he is Independent, upholding the best men for office.