JACKSON, George Henry
Windsor, Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Apr 2 1873, Johnson Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:533
George H. Jackson, farmer and stockman of Windsor, Missouri, was born on a farm in Johnson County, Missouri, April 2, 1873, and is a son of Lee C. and Lizzie (Cooper) Jackson, the former of whom is now living a retired life in Windsor. George H. Jackson, subject of this sketch, received his schooling in Johnson and Pettis Counties and began life for himself in 1895. One year later he made his first investment in eighty acres of land which he cultivated for some years, selling out in 1902. He then located on a tract of the Miller land owned by Mrs. Jackson, near Sutherland and the village of Bowen. He remained on this farm until 1912 and then located in Windsor, from which city he oversees his farming and stock raising operations. His present home is nicely located upon a tract of five acres in the city limits of Windsor. Mr. Jackson is owner of sixty-five acres in Windsor township and Mrs. Jackson has a fine farm of 179 acres in Johnson County upon which he maintains a herd of high grade Black Pole cattle. December 25, 1901, George H. Jackson and Miss Cena Belle Miller, the daughter of William J. Miller of Windsor, were united in marriage. For a sketch of the life of William J. Miller the reader is referred to another part of this volume. Three children have been born of this union: Clarice Marie, born April 23, 1906, in Johnson County; Wilma Francena, born January 16, 1908, in Johnson County; Belford George, born June 30, 1912, in Johnson County. Mrs. Cena Belle Jackson is a graduate of the Baptist College at Lexington, Missouri. Mr. Jackson is a Democrat and he and Mrs. Jackson are members of the Baptist Church. He is one of the best citizens of Windsor, who is keenly alive to every civic movement which tends to advance the interests of his home locality and takes a good citizen's part in all worthy movements. Lee C. Jackson was born at Clarksville, Tennessee, January 4, 1847, the son of George W. and Susan (Johnson) Jackson. George W. Jackson was born in middle Tennessee April 28, 1828, and died February 19, 1869. He was a saddle and harness maker by trade and his father fought in the War of 1812 at New Orleans, serving under General Jackson as a lieutenant of his company. In 1850 George W. Jackson moved from his native State to Kentucky, where he lived the rest of his days. His wife was a native of Christian County, Kentucky, and departed this life at Fort Worth, Texas, while visiting with her sister, Mrs. Jane Clark, her remains being interred at Smithfield, Texas. Lee C. Jackson was married December 14, 1871, to Elizabeth Cooper, who was born January 10, 1853, in Johnson County, Missouri. She died in 1895. In 1869 Lee C. Jackson came to Missouri and made settlement in Johnson County. Later in the fall of that same year he was joined by his mother, sisters and brother-in-laws and all settled on a farm in Johnson County, Missouri, and began the task of making homes for themselves and families. Mr. Jackson followed farm and stock raising pursuits in Johnson County until his retirement to a home in Windsor. He is owner of 184 acres of good land in Johnson County. In 1881 he located in Pettis County, Missouri, and resided there until 1903, when he again came to Johnson County. During his residence in Pettis County his wife died. To Lee C. and Elizabeth Jackson were born children as follow: George H., subject of this sketch; John W., Decatur, Illinois; Anna Bell, wife of S. Truell, Independence, Kansas; Mrs. Dora L. Kerr, Pettis County, Missouri; Beatrice, wife of William Kline, living near Linwood, Kansas; Frank, a farmer in Johnson County, Missouri.
JACKSON, George R.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Nov 7 1839, Philadelphia, PA
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:520
George R. Jackson, gunsmith and dealer in sportsman's goods, is a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was born November 7, 1839. In 1842, with his parents, he removed to Jerseyville, Illinois, where he passed his youth and received his education. In 1859, he began the trade of machinist in the shop of George Wharton, and remained therein for one year. Then for a like period he worked at the gunsmith trade, and upon going to Litchfield, Illinois, gave his attention to wagon making till 1862. In that year he enlisted in Company H, Ninety-seventh Illinois Regiment, serving till July, 1865, when he was mustered out at Washington, D C. Returning to Jerseyville, he resumed the trade of machinist for nine months, after which time he established a gun repair shop in that city, and conducted it for six months. He then went to Charleston, Illinois, and was in the same business till April, 1867, when he came to Clinton, Missouri, and started his present successful business. He carries a full line of sportsman's goods, and does all kinds of repairing on guns and light machinery. Mr. Jackson was married December 6, 1866, to Miss Kate Wilson, originally from Illinois. They have six children: Hattie W., Nellie B., Mary S., Kate L., Rolland F. and Robert E. Mr. J. has been a city alderman, having served three different terms.
JACKSON, George W.
Windsor, Windsor Township, Henry County
born: Aug 20 1854, Christian Co, KY
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:540
The late George W. Jackson of Windsor was a member of one of the old and prominent families of this section of Missouri. He was born in Christian County, Kentucky, August 20, 1854, and departed this life at his home in Windsor September 25, 1910. Mr. Jackson was the son of George W. Jackson, concerning whom extended mention is made in connection with the sketch of George H. Jackson, elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Jackson was reared to young manhood upon his father's farm and followed farming pursuits until his removal to Windsor, where he became a successful marble and monument salesman, remaining actively engaged in this business until his last fatal illness which terminated in his death. He was prominently identified with the civic and social life of Windsor and was well liked and respected by all who knew him. He was fraternally affiliated with the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World. On April 6, 1882, George W. Jackson and Miss Mary E. Douglas of Henry County were united in marriage. Mrs. Mary E. Jackson was born in Henry County, the daughter of Henry T. and Catharine (Painter) Douglas, natives of Howard County, Missouri, and Lincoln County, Kentucky, respectively. They were parents of a large family of thirteen children, namely: George W., a farmer of Johnson County; Otis F., Crain, Missouri; Henry T., a banker at Shawnee, Oklahoma; Newton G., a resident of Muskogee, Oklahoma; Mrs. Mary E. Jackson, Windsor, Missouri; Mrs. E. E. Goodrich, Oklahoma; six of the Douglas children are deceased. Henry T. Douglas was born July 30, 1825, and died November 17, 1903. When a youth he learned the trade of blacksmith and followed this trade during the greater part of his long life. He accompanied his parents to Henry County, Missouri, in 1835, the Douglas family settling on a farm in Henry County in the southeastern corner of the county not far from Windsor. Henry Douglas was here reared to young manhood and when grown he opened a wagon and smithing establishment at Calhoun, having previously operated a shop on his farm for a number of years. Later in life he located in Stone County, Missouri, and followed farming as a vocation. While a resident of Henry County he served as assessor of his township for several terms and was well and favorably known. Mr. Douglas was married on April 3, 1849, to Catharine Painter, who was born in 1835 and is still active and enjoying good health. Mrs. Catharine Douglas is now devoting her time and energies to the knitting socks and sweaters for the soldiers of the National Army. During this past year (1918) she has knitted nineteen pairs of wool socks and a sweater for the local Red Cross Chapter. One child was born to George W. and Mary E. (Douglas) Jackson, namely: Marvin Clyde, born April 15, 1883, and died December 16, 1890. Mrs. Jackson is a member of the Eastern Star, courtesy of her father, who was a Free Mason. She is active in the religious work of the Christian Church and is prominent socially in Windsor.
JEFFERSON, Richard "Dick"
Bogard Township, Henry County
born: Nov 16 1816, DE
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:692
Richard Jefferson, farmer, section 4, was born in the state of Delaware, November 16, 1816, being the son of Isaac and Sarah (Groves) Jefferson, natives of Delaware. The former was a soldier in the war of 1812. Richard was the oldest of a family of nine children, six of whom grew up and only one of the family ever married. When he was an infant one year old he was taken to Kentucky, where he remained until 1821, then removing to Callaway County, Missouri. They lived there and in Benton, Platte and Buchanan Counties until 1857, when Richard Jefferson came to Henry County, and engaged in farming and stock raising. His farm contains 216 acres of good land, well improved. His sister keeps house for him and is an excellent manager of household affairs.
JEFFRIES, John B.
Taber Township, St. Clair County
born: 1853, Carroll Co, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1218
JOHN B. JEFFRIES, farmer, section 1, is a son of Elijah G. and Elizabeth P. (Winfrey) Jeffries, natives of Kentucky, and was born in Carroll County, Missouri, December 5, 1853. In 1865 he moved, with his parents to McDonough County, Illinois, and in 1869 they settled in Bates County, coming to St. Clair County in 1875, where he has since resided. He was reared on a farm and has followed farming during life. His present place contains eighty-six acres and he also has forty acres of timber. Mr. Jeffries was married February 25, 1875, to Miss Sarrilda A. Pease. They have two children: Willie B. and Anna B.
JEGGLIN, Augustavis Adolphus "Gus"
Tebo Township, Henry County
born: Apr 2 1856, Booneville, MO
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:645
G. A. Jegglin is an extensive manufacturer of stoneware. The subject of this sketch was born in Boonville, Missouri, April 2, 1856. His father, John M. Jegglin, a native of England, has been a large manufacturer of stoneware in Boonville for a number of years. His mother's maiden name was Anna M. Balliger. G. A. was the second of a family of four children. His youth was spent in Boonville in attending the public schools, and he worked with his father until 1875, when he went to Marshall and clerked in a store for fifteen months. Returning to his birthplace he remained until becoming proficient in his present business. He worked seven months at Palmyra, Missouri, and in 1880 came to Calhoun, where he labored at his trade until 1881, then engaging in the business. This has rapidly increased from the start, and he now has in his employ about ten men, his ware finding a ready sale in Missouri and Kansas.
JENNINGS, Julius C.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Feb 11 1853, Kennebeck Co, ME
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:356
Julius C. Jennings first came to Clinton, Missouri, in 1871. He is a native of Kennebeck County, Maine, and he was born February 11, 1853. He received his education at the Maine Wesleyan College at Kent's Hill, that state. After coming to Clinton he was for several years engaged in teaching school and studying law with C. B. Wilson. In 1875 he removed to Indiana, where for two years he held the position of superintendent of the city schools of Covington, and the following two years a similar position at Russelville, that state. In 1879 he returned to Henry County, Missouri, and began the practice of law, making his residence at Calhoun for two years. The past two years he has made his home in Clinton, where he is steadily working into a good practice.
JOHN, George W.
Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1833, Delaware Co, IN
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1113
GEORGE W. JOHN, of the firm of G. W. John & Co., grain dealers, owes his nativity to Delaware County, Indiana, where he was born March 24, 1833. From his fourteenth year he was reared in Wayne County, Indiana, where he also received his education, having made farming his occupation from his youth. In October, 1868, he emigrated to Missouri, and settled near Roscoe, St. Clair County, and was there engaged in farming till the fall of 1872. Locating on a farm on Ohio Prairie he followed agricultural pursuits till June, 1878. He then came to Appleton City and embarked in the grain business. Mr. John was married May 18, 1853, to Miss Lucy Goetel, of Pennsylvania. They have five children: Curtis E., Mary V., Lincoln, Hudson B. and Elmer E. Mr. J. is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. He belongs to the M. E. Church.
JOHNSON, George A.
Honey Creek Township, Henry County
born: Jun 9 1878, Gasconade Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:719
George A. Johnson, a progressive citizen of Honey Creek township, Henry County, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Gasconade County June 9, 1878, a son of Christ and Mary E. (Wolff) Johnson, natives of. Sweden. The father settled in Gasconade County when he was twenty-four years old and resided there until 1885, when he removed to Pettis County and was engaged in farming near Sedalia until 1900, when he traded his farm there for a place in Henry County near Maurine. Here he was engaged in general farming and stock raising until the time of his death, February 26, 1917, and his widow now resides on the home farm in Henry County. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Martha Quaintance, Gerster, Missouri; George A., the subject of this sketch; Mary M., a trained nurse who enlisted as a Red Cross nurse during the World War and after having served for a time at Camp Severe, South Carolina, she signed up for oversea duty and at this writing (October 23, 1918) she is at New York City awaiting orders to sail for Europe; Mrs. Katie A. Bower, Altoona, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Alice S. Benezette, Chilhowee, Missouri, and Florence, who resides at home. George A. Johnson received his education, principally, in the public schools of Pettis County, and was engaged in farming in early life. He came to Henry County and engaged in the mercantile business at Garland. After a few years he traded his stock of goods for a farm and since that time has been engaged in farming and stock raising. His. place is located one and one-half miles northwest of Garland and is one of the well improved places of western Henry County. He built his residence in 1915 and he has also built a large barn and other farm buildings, which makes of his place one of the modern equipped and well improved farms of the township. Mr. Johnson was united in marriage March 25, 1903, with Miss Eunice W. Benezette, a daughter of D. W. and Nannie (Mohler) Benezette. Nannie Mohler's father was a Dunkard minister. D. W. Benezette was a native of Virginia and an early settler of Henry County, and was engaged in farming in Honey Creek township. A few years prior to his death he went to New Mexico, where he died. His wife died in 1906. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Mary Burke, Fields Creek township, Henry County; Mrs. Richard McWhirt, Centerview, Missouri; Edward, who was accidentally killed while hunting in 1903; Howard, a conductor on the Santa Fe railroad, resides at Argentine, Kansas; Eunice, W., the wife of George A. Johnson, the subject of this sketch; Harry H., Chilhowee, Missouri; Mrs. Lucy Lumary, deceased, left a daughter, Anna, who was six months old at her mother's death and since that time has made her home with Mr. and Mrs. George A. Johnson, and she is now nine years old; Mrs. Abbie Woodruff, resides in Texas, and Frank E., a soldier in the United States Army, now serving in France with the American Expeditionary Force, and Mrs. Ruth V. Hunter, Chilhowee, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have been born two children, Nannie Marie and George Virgil. Mr. Johnson is one of the progressive citizens of Honey Creek township and takes a keen interest in all modern improvement and advancement. He has been a member of the local school board for the past seven years and is recognized as one of the good roads boosters of Henry County. He is one of the substantial citizens of his township and county.
JOHNSON, Isaac M.
Springfield Township, Henry County
born: Mar 12 1838, Madison Co, OH
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:816
Isaac M. Johnson was born March 12, 1838, in Madison County, Ohio, and was the son of William and Felietia (Hall) Johnson, of the same county. The former was born in 1812. They were married September 27, 1832, and but recently celebrated their golden wedding in their native place. To them were born nine sons and one daughter, of whom six sons survive. Isaac M. commenced life for himself at the age of nineteen years. He had been quite an extensive traveler, having visited nearly every state in the Union, Canada, the British possessions and the territories. In 1864 he married Miss Inezetta Fasha, of Peoria, Illinois, and they have been blessed with five sons and two daughters. All are living save two sons. In 1870 Mr. Johnson commenced farming in Henry County, Missouri, purchasing his first farm of 190 acres, on which he remained two years. Then renting it, he removed with his family to Clinton, and was engaged in shipping live stock to the St. Louis market for four years. Then he made an exchange of property in Clinton for 494 acres of land in this township, and since then he has added thereto from time to time until he now owns a large and most valuable farm of 713 acres. In 1882 he sold his farm in Bethlehem Township. Mr. J. is one of the large cattle men of the county, and in this industry has met with far more than ordinary success. He was formerly quite an adapt in rail splitting, having split 565 rails for fencing purposes in five hours. Politically he is independent.
JOHNSON, James Washington
Bear Creek Township, Henry County
born: Jan 25 1846, near Versailles, Morgan Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:405
James Washington Johnson. Prominent in the affairs of Henry county for nearly thirty-five years, energetic and progressive to a high degree, the late James W. Johnson was a man whose name will long be remembered in Henry County. He created a splendid farm during the course of his residence in this county and reared a fine family of children. James W. Johnson, widely known as Judge Johnson, was born in Morgan County, near Versailles, Missouri, in 1846, and was the son of Anderson and Rebecca (Smith) Johnson, who were natives of Kentucky and settled in Missouri during the early thirties, when the greater portion of the State was an unpeopled wilderness. Anderson and Rebecca Johnson reared a family of ten children, of whom James W. was the fifth child. He, James W., was reared to young manhood in Morgan County and resided there until the spring of 1879, when he came to Henry County in search of a permanent home for his family. He enlisted in the Confederate service in 1864 during the Civil War and became a soldier when but seventeen years of age. He served under General Marmaduke and saw much active and hazardous service in southwest Missouri, Arkansas and Texas for over one year. Mr. Johnson's first purchase of land was eighty acres in Bear Creek township. This farm was hardly improved and an old log house which had been erected by a former proprietor served as the Johnson home for four years. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson then erected a substantial frame house. He set out a large orchard which bore bountiful crops of apples for many years until the past six years of drought practically ruined many of the trees. He added another eighty acres to his farm and then added forty acres, making two hundred acres in all in the Johnson farm. In April of 1879, James W. Johnson and Miss Mary McCloud of Morgan County were united in marriage. Mrs. Mary Johnson was born in 1858 in Morgan County, Missouri, and is a daughter of W. H. and Elizabeth (Adams) McCloud, the former of whom was a native of South Carolina and the latter a native of Indiana. Elizabeth (Adams) McCloud was the daughter of Adam Adams, a pioneer settler of Morgan County, Missouri, whose wife lived to the great age of ninety-two years. Mrs. Mary Johnson is one of the seven children born to her father's second marriage. He was father of six children by a former marriage. Her mother departed this life in February, 1898, her father having died in 1874. Three children were born to James W. and Mary Johnson, as follows: Barrington Salmon, born 1881, lives in Texas, married Jewell Rhodes, and has one child, James Samuel; Ewing McCloud Johnson, born April 1, 1893, enlisted in the department of mechanical service in the National Army for overseas service in the World War in behalf of world freedom, April 5, 1918; James Winkler, born April 21, 1896, married March 14, 1918, to Crystal E. Hood, daughter of J. C. Hood of Montrose, Missouri. Mr. Johnson was a life-long Democrat and prominent and active in the affairs of his party in Henry County. He was once a candidate for county judge and came within two votes of being elected. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and took a proper interest in religious work. He was affiliated with the United Confederate Veterans, Norvel Spangler Camp No. 668, Clinton, Missouri, and took a great interest in the affairs of this organization. Mr. Johnson was a man worth while who left an indelible impress upon the life of the community in which he spent so many active years.
JOHNSON, Joseph F.
Jackson Township, St. Clair County
born: 1849, TN
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1153
JOSEPH F. JOHNSON was born October 3, 1849, in Middle Tennessee, and was the son of William D. Johnson, who was born July 2, 1826. He married about the year 1840, to Miss Lucinda Carrington, born September 1, 1812. They had five children: James A., born May 27, 1842, died December 8, 1868; William W., born May 20, 1844, died during the war; Henry J., born February 15, 1847; Lucinda C., born April 6,1852, and Joseph. In 1857, emigrating to St. Clair County, Missouri, Mr. Johnson purchased a tract of land, upon which he settled and lived till his death, April 13, 1859. Mrs. J. died at Springfield, Missouri, May 1, 1863. Joseph F. commenced life for himself at the age of thirteen years as a cattle driver, but in a few months became employed by the government as post teamster, following this business about two years. Then with his brother, (James) and sister, he removed to Olathe, Johnson County, Kansas, and after six months he and his brother, with others, started over the plains to New Mexico. On account of a severe snow storm, they were compelled to abandon the enterprise. Returning to Kansas, he was engaged in farming for four years, when he went to Howard County, which was his home for two years. In 1871 he came to this county. Mr. Johnson was married September 14, 1873, to Miss L. Zada J. Rippetoe, of St. Clair County. They have had four children: William E. C., born June 1, 1874; died July 4, 1881; Charles A., born December 30, 1875; Amy R., born February 2, 1878, and Etta D., born October 18, 1882. His place contains 166 acres of valuable land, well adapted for grazing. He is Democratic in his political views. Himself and wife are connected with the M. E. Church South.
JOHNSON, O. F.
Deepwater Township, Henry County
born: Jun 30 1841, Medina Co, OH
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:611
O. F. Johnson. Among the prominent and leading business men of Montrose is the subject of this sketch, who was born in Medina County, Ohio, June 30, 1841. His parents were Hosea and Rachel (Ladd) Johnson, both natives of Vermont. O. F. moved with the family to Indiana in 1845 and settled in Noble County, where he grew to manhood on the farm, acquiring limited educational advantages, as the term of the public schools in those days consisted of only about three months, in the winter season. By self application he has become a man of good education. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company F., 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served about fourteen months in the army, participating in the battles of Pittsburgh Landing, Corinth, Bowling Green and several other important engagements. After his discharge, in October, 1862, he returned to Indiana and devoted his attention to teaching in the states of New York, Michigan and Indiana. Mr. Johnson was married in St. Joseph County, Indiana, September, 1870, to Miss Margaret Burden, of that county and a daughter of William and Catherine Burden. After teaching in St. Joseph County for about two years Mr. J. came to Missouri in April, 1872, and located near Appleton City, in St. Clair County, where he purchased land and improved a farm, also being engaged in teaching for three terms of school. In June, 1877, he moved into Montrose, embarking in the mercantile business. He carries a large stock of hardware, furniture, farm implements and deals extensively in grain, and is doing a most remunerative business. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have one child, Burr, who was born July 22, 1880. Mrs. J. is a member of the Christian Church.
Springfield Township, Henry County
born: Mar 23 1848, Hudixwahl, Sweden
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:564
Oley Johnson, farmer and stockman, Springfield township, Henry County, is a native of Sweden who came to America and made good in the land of his adoption. Mr. Johnson was born in Hudixwahl, Sweden, March 23, 1848, the son of Jonas and Christina (Pearson) Johnson, who were parents of two sons. The parents of Oley Johnson came to America in 1868 and made a settlement in Cooper County, Missouri, where Jonas Johnson died. His wife, Christina Johnson, died in Springfield township, Henry County, Missouri, May 7, 1901. When he had attained the age of twenty years, Oley Johnson with his parents and brother decided to come to America in search of a home and fortune. He crossed the ocean and made his way to Pettis County, Missouri, in 1868, there finding employment on the railroad and any honest labor he could obtain. In 1873 he located upon a farm of eighty-two and one-half acres owned by Captain Henry in Springfield township, Henry County, and has prospered as the years have passed. During that same year he invested his savings in a fine farm of 160 acres in Benton County, Missouri. Mr. Johnson is recognized as one of the progressive and enterprising farmers of his township and is well-to-do. Mr. Johnson was married December 16, 1903, to Mrs. Maude Johnson, widow of his brother, Perry, who prior to her marriage was Miss Maude Rogers, born in Columbia, Missouri, August 16, 1876, the daughter of Robert C. and Maria (Clay) Rogers. Robert C. Rogers was a native of West Virginia and his wife was born at Carlisle, Kentucky, a daughter of John W. Clay, first cousin of the great statesman, Henry Clay, of Kentucky. Robert C. Rogers was a brick mason by trade and came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1880, locating in section 9 of Springfield township upon an eighty acre farm. In 1892 Maude Rogers and Perry Johnson were married. Perry Johnson was born in Sweden on April 2, 1849, and accompanied his brother Oley to America. He died June 17, 1901, leaving three children: Edgar O., in the National Army, was married to Lena Bullock June 23, 1918; James Clay, now a soldier in the National Army, fighting in behalf of the free peoples of the world against the military oppression of Germany; Mary Christina Johnson, the only daughter, was married to Logan Taylor July 18, 1918. Mr. Johnson is a Republican and has served as school director of District No.7. He is a stockholder in the Windsor and Calhoun Elevator Companies and takes an active and influential part in all civic movements.
JOHNSON, Ruel W.
Springfield Township, Henry County
born: Aug 20 1835, Wood Co, VA
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:816
Ruel W. Johnson, farmer and stock raiser, was born August 20, 1835, in Wood County, Virginia, his parents being Phineas Johnson, a farmer and blacksmith by trade, born May 6, 1809, in Pennsylvania, and Abigal (Ross) Johnson, born July 25, 1813, and originally from Ohio. They were married December 12, 1833, and had eleven children, eight of whom are living. They were residents of Clark County, Missouri, at one time for ten years, removing thence to Henry County, Missouri. The education of R. W., was received in Wood County, Virginia, previous to the age of fourteen years. He left home in 1860, and went to Clark County, Missouri, remaining until the following year, when he enlisted under Captain Watts, commander of what was called the Fox Rangers, a regiment of cavalry, which was soon organized into a regiment under Colonel Green, operating during the summer in Northern Missouri. Moving south in the fall, he joined General Price before Lexington, and served with him during the war, finally surrendering at Shreveport, Louisiana. He then returned to Clark County, Missouri, and from there went to McDonald County, Illinois, but a few months later locating in Bolivar County, Mississippi. After a comparatively short time he returned to Missouri, and in less than a year found himself once more in the south, at Jackson, Mississippi. He returned to his father, in Henry County, in August, 1867, and with the senior Johnson joined in farming for nearly seven years. December 15, 1873, he married Mrs. Martha Wears, of Henry County, Missouri. By this union there was but one son. Mrs. J. died May 20, 1875. In 1877, January 20, he married Mrs. Eliza Chalmers, also of this county. They have a farm of forty acres, located on section 29. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1882, but declined to qualify. Politically he is a Democrat.
JOHNSON, Thomas Moore
Osceola Township, St. Clair County
born: 1851, Osceola, St. Clair Co, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1088
THOMAS MOORE JOHNSON was born in Osceola in 1851, and is the son of the Hon. Waldo P. Johnson, who was born in 1817, in Harrison County, Virginia. His grandfather was William Johnson, a native of New York, and an uncle of his was once governor of Virginia. Waldo P. Johnson came to Missouri and settled in this county in 1842. He received a collegiate education, studied law at Clarksburg, Virginia, and was admitted to practice at that place. Coming west he located in St. Clair County. He first opened an office in Osceola, and has since been occupied in the practice of his profession. In 1846, he was elected a member of the legislature after having started with the army for the Mexican War, but he returned and occupied his seat. In 1848, he was elected county treasurer. In 1850, he was elected circuit attorney, and in 1851, he was succeeded by the Hon. Burr H. Emerson, Mr. J. having been elected judge of this judicial district. In 1861, he was elected United States Senator, and the same year was chosen one of the commissioners to meet in Washington to negotiate terms of peace. He cast his fortune and influence with the Confederacy, and resigned his seat in the United States Senate, and became a member of the Confederate Senate. During the war he was appointed colonel of a Confederate regiment, and remained with it until the close of hostilities. In 1875, he was elected a delegate to the state constitutional convention, and was elected its president. After remaining for some two years in Sedalia, he returned to this city, and soon after removed to St Louis, where he has since lived. His large property and real estate interests in this county and Southwestern Missouri requires much of his time in Osceola. He was married in 1847, to Miss Emily Moore. She was the daughter of Thomas Moore, of Maryland. They have a family of four sons: William T., Thomas Moore, St. Clair and Charles P. Thomas Moore received a classical education at Notre Dame College, Indiana, graduating in 1871, and receiving the degree of A. B. He studied law with his father, and was admitted to the bar in 1872. In 1874, he was elected prosecuting attorney of St. Clair County, and discharged the duties of the office with great satisfaction. In 1877, he moved to St. Louis County, and opened an office for the practice of law, and also edited a paper. He returned to St. Clair County in 1879, and is now connected with the law firm of Johnson & Lucas. In 1881, he was elected mayor of the city, and also re-elected in 1882. Mr. J. married Miss Alice Barr, in May, 1881. She is the daughter of Rev. C. J. Barr, of this county. Mr. Johnson is a close student, is well versed with all the leading authors, and he is recognized as a man that has given more attention to scientific questions than any one in the county.
JOHNSTON, James Riley
Polk Township, St. Clair County
born: 1823, Warren Co, MO
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1161
JAMES RILEY JOHNSTON was born in Warren County, Missouri, October 2, 1823, and was the son of Joseph Johnston, a Virginian by birth, born February 16, 1784, who in 1805 married Miss Rebecca Bryan. She was originally from Clark County, Kentucky, and was born April 8, 1790. They had thirteen children, of whom only four are now living. In 1843 the family removed to St. Clair County, Missouri, and here the senior Johnston died March 12, 1850, his widow surviving until April 5, 1875, when she also passed away. James R. came into possession of the homestead after the death of his father, but in 1877 exchanged this property for a farm of 120 acres in Polk Township, moving upon it in the spring of that year. In 1872 he was elected sheriff of this county and re-elected in 1874, and during his term of office he resided in Osceola. Mr. J. was married September 25. 1856, to Miss Harriet Gist, daughter of Thomas and Margaret Gist, of this county. To them were born eight children Joseph Emmett (died July 24, 1865), Ellen, William T., John H. (died in infancy), Andrew B., Eva O., Fannie and Rebecca M. Mr. J. followed farming as his chief occupation, but at times taught school. In 1880 he was appointed census enumerator for Polk and Dallas Townships, but on account of ill health was obliged to give it up. He died on June 11, 1880, after an illness of nineteen days, and having been a member of the Masonic lodge at Osceola, was buried by that order in the family cemetery in Jackson Township. He was a zealous member of the Christian Church, and during his life was a man honored and respected by all for his uniform kindness and upright daily walk.
JOHNSTON, William W.
Big Creek Township, Henry County
born: Feb 2 1865, Dayton, Cass Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:688
William W. Johnston, president of the Farmers Bank of Blairstown, was born at Dayton, Cass County, Missouri, February 2, 1865. He is the son of George and Nancy (Hendon) Johnston. George Johnston, his father, was born in Kentucky and migrated from his native State to Cass County, Missouri, in the forties. He resided in Cass County until 1872, at which time he went to Cedar County, Missouri. In his later years he removed to a home in California and died at Long Beach in 1908. George and Nancy Johnston were parents of the following children: Anna Lynn, deceased; LeRoy L. Johnston, Pleasant View, Cedar County, Missouri; W. W., subject of this sketch; Samuel, living in Idaho; Mrs. Nettie Phipps, Long Beach, California; Mrs. George Folk, Stockton, Missouri. W. W. Johnston was educated in Cedar County, attending the Pleasant View school house when Charles Stewart was the teacher. When fifteen years old he left home to adventure upon unknown paths, as he says: "All I had when I left the home was a straw hat and a pair of overalls." He came to Big Creek township, Henry County, and worked as a farm hand for Pleasant Webster for a wage of $12 per month. For a period of ten years he worked as farm laborer in this vicinity and in the meantime purchased his first farm of eighty acres and later purchased a farm consisting of 105 acres from Doctor Noble of Urich. Mr. Johnston has succeeded during the years that have passed and has accumulated a splendid farm of 455 acres, and other land. He owns Kansas City property, consisting of a six apartment flat and a five room cottage and a gents furnishing store located in Jamestown, Missouri; also a considerable amount of personal property, all of which property is clear and free from debt. The Johnston residence is located four miles southwest of Blairstown and the place upon which it is situated was purchased in 1910. There are two sets of improvements upon the Johnston land, all of which are kept in a good state of repair. Mr. Johnston is an extensive stockman and feeder of live stock and specializes in white face Hereford cattle, of which breed he has forty-five head of high grade stock on his place. His herd leader is a pure bred registered male. He also has forty Hereford calves. One hundred head of well fed cattle has been the yearly output of the Johnston farm, and he also ships about a carload of Poland China hogs annually. The farm is well watered and finely adapted for stock raising. Mr. Johnston was married on January 11, 1893, to Margaret J. Lotspiech, a daughter of John and Caroline Lotspiech of Bogard township. John Lotspiech was a soldier in the Confederate Army and located in Bogard township after the close of the war. He married Caroline Potts of Big Creek township, who came to Henry County with her parents, Absalom and Susan (Wall) Potts, natives of North Carolina. The Potts family came to this county in 1839 and were among the earliest of the pioneer settlers of Big Creek township. The father of Mrs. Susan (Wall) Potts entered several thousand acres of Government land here and owned over one hundred slaves which he brought from the plantation in North Carolina. Mr. Johnston is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is one of the leaders of the Democratic party in Henry County. For the past four years he has been central committeeman for Bogard township. He was one of the organizers and a charter member of the Farmers Bank of Blairstown and has served as president of this flourishing bank since its first organization.
JONES, I. N.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: n/a, IL
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:521
I. N. Jones owes his nativity to Illinois. He served in the Federal army for four years, during the late war, and on June 14, 1872, came to Henry County, Missouri, and was identified with the Clinton Advocate as publisher and proprietor until March, 1878. He was appointed postmaster at Clinton by President Hayes and was re-appointed in 1882. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Masonic fraternities.
JONES, L. Cann
Deer Creek Township, Henry County
born: 1868, Jennings Co, IN
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:302
L. C. Jones, the well known recorder of deeds of Henry County, is a native of Indiana. He was born in Jennings County in 1868, a son of Louis E. and Catherine (Burns) Jones, both natives of Indiana. The Jones family is of old Virginia stock and George D. Jones, grandfather of L. C., was a Virginian, and went to Indiana from his native State at a very early day in the history of Indiana. Later, or about 1867, he went to Illinois, where he spent the remainder of his life. Louis E. Jones removed from Indiana to Illinois in 1868, and now resides near Chester, Randolph County, Illinois. Catherine (Burns) Jones is also a descendant of one of the very early pioneer families of Indiana. L. C. Jones is one of a family of seven children born to his parents, six of whom are living as follow: E. W., Terre Haute, Indiana; I. H., Sparta, Illinois; Nellie, the wife of John Boyd, Effingham, Illinois; Ina, now the wife of John Kull, who resides in northern Indiana; Susan, the wife of Lee Nolan, Sparta, Illinois, and L. C., the subject of this sketch. L. C. Jones was reared and educated in Illinois. He spent his boyhood days on the home farm and in 1887 came to Henry County, Missouri, where he followed farming and threshing for twenty-three years. He was engaged in the mercantile business at Quarles for eight years, although he has always been interested in farming and threshing. In 1914 he was elected recorder of Henry County and is now serving in that capacity, although he continues to reside on his home place, which is a splendid farm of 180 acres in Deer Creek township. In addition to general farming Mr. Jones is extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses and mules, and is well known as a successful breeder of pure blood Shropshire sheep. Mr. Jones was married April 22, 1892, to Miss Lillian I. Spicer, a native of St. Louis County, Missouri. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, Luther C., Bisbee, Arizona; Grace E., Claud and Alice, who reside at home with their parents. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and Mr. Jones is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Masonic Lodge and has been identified with the Democratic party since boyhood. He is one of the substantial and enterprising citizens of Henry County.
JONES, Robert Lee
Tebo Township, Henry County
born: Jun 26 1885, Tebo Twp, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:582
Robert Lee Jones is a successful farmer and an extensive mule dealer of Tebo township, who owns and operates a farm in section 36. Mr. Jones is a young man who gives promise of being one of the leading agriculturists of his community. He was born June 26, 1885, in Tebo township, Henry County, the son of Reuben A. and Fannie (Parks) Jones, who are also farming in Tebo township. Robert Lee Jones was reared on the home farm and attended the Highland district school and the Calhoun High School. In 1909 he purchased his present farm of sixty-five acres and is conducting a successful farming business. He also is dealing in mules, buying and selling them the year around. February 17, 1909, Robert L. Jones and Maude Dannatt were united in marriage. She was born in Clinton County, Iowa, and is the daughter of Samuel and Amelia (Rice) Dannatt. Mr. and Mrs. Dannatt, with their family, came to Deer Creek township, Henry County, in 1904 and purchased 120 acres of land, which they farmed until their retirement in 1909, when they moved to Clinton, Missouri. In 1913 they moved to Calhoun, Missouri, where they now reside. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are the parents of four children as follows: Ethlyn Bonita, Floyd Kenneth, Ada Caroline, and Elsie Wonita. The family are members of the Baptist church and Mr. Jones votes the Democratic ticket. He is one of the substantial and progressive young men of Henry County.
JONES, Samuel Dr.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Apr 26 1826, Harrison Co, OH
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:521
Samuel Jones, M.D., a native of Harrison County, Ohio, was born April 26, 1826. His father, James Jones, came originally from Delaware, but was reared in Pennsylvania. His mother, formerly Susan Dickerson, was born in Pennsylvania and grew up in Ohio. Samuel was the third of nine children. He passed his youth and early manhood in the county of his birth, and was educated in the West Bedford, Ohio, academy. At the age of twenty-one he began the study of medicine under Dr. R. N. Waddell, of Nashville, Ohio, with whom he remained as student for two and one-half years, and for the following eighteen months he was engaged in practicing under that gentleman. In 1856-57 he attended a course of lectures at the Cincinnati, Ohio, Medical College, from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1857. Becoming occupied in the practice of medicine at Lithopolis, Ohio, he stayed for ten months, going thence to Utica, Ohio, where he resided till April, 1866. He then came to Clinton, Missouri, and continued his practice here till 1873, when he was ordained a minister of the M. E. Church. For two years he had charge of the Huntingdale circuit, and for one year following held the Brownsville, Missouri, circuit. Later on his charge was the Aullville and Dunksville circuit for one year, and the next year he was assigned to the Brownsville and Aullville circuit. Finally he received the Clinton circuit for a like period. Owing to his wife's ill health he was obliged to give up active duty in the church, and for that reason, in 1878 he resumed the practice of medicine in this city. Dr. Jones was married April, 1846, to Miss Sarah A. Brown, a native of Ohio. They had one child, George B. Mrs. Jones' death occurred July 9, 1849. He was again married February 14, 1850, to Miss Mary Johnston, also of Ohio. They have four children: Robert E., James O., Thomas H. and Edward L. W. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he has for a term of four years served Henry County as coroner.
JONES, Samuel H. Dr.
Davis Township, Henry County
born: Nov 27 1837, Warren Co, MO
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:735
Samuel H. Jones, M.D. was born in Warren County, Missouri, November 27, 1837. His father, John Jones was an old practitioner of Warren County, having settled there in 1818 from Kentucky. He met his death by assassination in 1842. He had tried to have the laws enforced against evil doers, and at the hands of such men he received his death. Samuel's mother, formerly Minerva B. Callaway, was a daughter of Flanders Callaway, prominent among the pioneers of Missouri, and who married the daughter of Daniel Boone, thus making Dr. Jones the great grandson of the famous hunter. A portion of the original stone that was placed at the head of Daniel Boone's grave, is now in Dr. Jones' possession. At his mother's death, when he was but sixteen years of age, he went to Franklin County, and lived with a brother. He attended DesPaine's College at St. Louis, and in 1857. he began to study with Dr. Powell at Marthasville, Warren County, but at the end of a year, entered with his brother at Newport, Franklin County, in 1859 he attended the St. Louis Medical College, where he graduated in the spring of 1861. He then began the practice of his profession at Miller's Landing, and July 16, 1861, he was married in St. Louis, to Miss Cynthia A. Griswold, who was born February 8, 1843. In the fall of the same year he entered the army service at Osceola, and was made assistant surgeon under Dr. Dorsey in Colonel Johnson's regiment in Parson's Brigade. He remained for eighteen months in Missouri and Arkansas, when he returned home and resumed the practice at Marthasville. In 1864 he removed to Williamsburg, Callaway County, and subsequently practiced in Warren County again for two years. In 1870 he came to Henry County, and located seven miles west of Clinton, and in 1872, took up his residence in Ladue, where he has a very successful practice. In 1878 he opened a drug store, and has since been handling a good stock. Dr. Jones has for a time been buying stock and grain and in each of these industries, is doing a fair trade. On the 8th of March 1880, his wife died. He has seven children living: Lee, Archibald N., Caroline A., Sallie P., Harvey, Jeffie, and Daniel B. Dr. Jones has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for nearly twenty-five years.
Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Nov 30 1836, Baltimore, MD
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:522
Albert Judge, grocer, was born in Baltimore, Maryland, November 30, 1836, while the family were in that city as refugees from Charleston, South Carolina, which at that time was stricken with yellow fever. They returned, however, to Charleston shortly after the birth of Albert. His father, James Judge, a native of England, was there raised, and in 1830 he emigrated to America. After a limited residence in New York City he went to Florida, resided there one year, and thence to Charleston, South Carolina, where he was engaged in merchandising till 1844. Then, with his family, he removed to St. Charles County, Missouri, of which county he was a prominent farmer. During the late war he was much abused by the Federals for being a Southern sympathizer, and was held a prisoner from the spring of 1864 till December, 1865, at different times in the prisons of St. Louis, Missouri, Alton, Illinois, and Jefferson City, Missouri, besides being fined $10,000 and having his property confiscated. He is now deceased. Albert's mother, formerly Mary A. French, was also born in England and there married Mr. Judge. Her death occurred while on a visit to Cincinnati, Ohio, in November, 1864. Young Judge grew up on a farm in St. Charles County, Missouri, and attended during 1855-6-7 the Urbana University. After returning home he continued farming and also merchandising to some extent till 1866, at that time coming to Henry County. Here he still resumed farming till August, 1880, when he engaged in his present business, the firm being Vandiver & Judge. They were associated together till April, 1881, when the name became Judge & Comer, so remaining for eight months. Since that time Mr. Judge has been alone in the business. His stock of goods is very complete, and the large patronage he is receiving is a sufficient guarantee of the success of his business. He was united in marriage April 22, 1862, to Miss Kate Gaiter, of St. Charles County, Missouri. They have three children: William A., Carrie B. and Charles E. Mr. J. is a member of the Masonic order.
JUDY, Thomas W.
Appleton Township, St. Clair County
born: 1842, Montgomery Co, KY
Source:1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co. Pg:1114
THOMAS W. JUDY, farmer, section 5, a native of Montgomery County, Kentucky, was born August 13, 1842, his parents being Jeremiah V. and Lucelia (Allen) Judy, Kentuckians by birth. The former died in April, 1862. In 1843. the family removed to Cooper County, Missouri, where Thomas grew up on a farm. In 1859, he emigrated to California, and was there engaged in freighting and mining. In the fall of 1869, he returned to Cooper County, Missouri, and the following spring again visited California, embarking in mercantile pursuits at Wheatland. In 1879, he retraced his steps to Missouri, settling in St. Clair County. He now has a fine farm of 150 acres. Mr. Judy was married June 28, 1874, to Miss Nettie Kesner, originally from Pennsylvania. They have four children: Maud, Fred, Murray and Harry. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity.
JULIAN, Joseph William
Clinton, Clinton Township, Henry County
born: Feb 1 1870, near Calhoun, Henry Co, MO
Source:1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg Pg:830
Joseph W. Julian, a leading grocer of Clinton, is a member of a prominent pioneer family of Henry County. He was born near Calhoun, Missouri, in 1870, and is a son of M. J. F. and Rebecca (Judd) Julian. M. J. F. Julian was born in Tennessee in 1824. He came to Missouri in 1855 and first settled near Windsor in Pettis County, remaining there until 1865, when he came to Henry County, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died in 1904 and his remains were interred in the cemetery at Tebo. During the Civil War he served in the Home Guard, making his home in the vicinity of Sedalia during that conflict. He was a life long Democrat and cast his first presidential vote for James K. Polk in 1844, and his past presidential vote was cast for William J. Bryan in 1900. Rebecca (Judd) Julian was a native of Kentucky, born in 1834 and died in 1914, and her remains rest by the side of her husband's in Tebo Cemetery. When M. J. F. Julian and his wife came to Missouri from Tennessee in the early fifties, they drove with ox teams and brought about seventy-five head of cattle with them on the journey. It required about six months to make the trip and as an example of the tedious trials of travel in those days it required six days to transfer their cattle across the river at Boonville, where they were ferried across on a small flat boat which was incapable of carrying more than two or three head of cattle at a time. The Julian family experienced all the trials, inconveniences and hardships incident to pioneer life in a new country, for when they settled in this section of Missouri they cast their lot well on the border of the frontier. To M. J. F. and Rebecca Judd Julian were born the following children: Alabama, married J. E. Delozier, Clinton, Missouri; Mary, married Joseph Beeler, Iona, Missouri; John K., Montrose, Missouri; Willis, deceased; Nettie, deceased; George, Clinton, Missouri; Martha, married Hugh Yandall, Sedalia, Missouri; Joseph W., the subject of this sketch, and James, Clinton, Missouri. Joseph W. Julian received his education in the public schools at Leesville, Missouri, and when about twenty years of age engaged in farming for himself. After a time he engaged in the produce business in partnership with his brother, Willis, and for ten years the brothers carried on this business together. He was then engaged in farming for a time, when he engaged in the livery and feed business and also conducted a wood and coal yard in Clinton. In 1911 he engaged in a grocery business in Clinton, which he has successfully conducted to the present time. Mr. Julian was united in marriage in 1892 with Miss Janie Hall, a daughter of John and Mary (Vance) Hall, pioneer settlers of Henry County, who now reside at Coal, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Julian have been born five children as follow: Elsie, a Henry County teacher; Effie, a student in the Clinton High School; Vance, a student in the public schools of Clinton; Elmer and Dorothy. Mr. Julian is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Fraternal Union. Politically he is a Democrat and takes an active interest in local political affairs. Mr. Julian is probably one of the best known men in Henry County, where he has spent his life in a business activity which has brought him into contact with the public.
JUSTICE, William B.
Deer Creek Township, Henry County
born: Dec 24 1834, Carroll Co, TN
Source:1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg Pg:802
William B. Justice, farmer and stock raiser, section 29, is a native of Carroll County, Tennessee, and was born December 24, 1834. His father, James Justice, who was born in North Carolina, removed to Tennessee when a youth, and there grew to maturity and was married to Sarah McClure, also of Tennessee. William B., after the death of his father, which occurred in 1836, was reared by an uncle. His youth was passed on a farm and he attended the Lavinia High School and Bethel College, where he received a good education in the English branches. After completing studies, he clerked in a store for about three years at Hickman, Kentucky. In January, 1856, he removed to St. Clair County, Illinois, and was engaged in farming for about eleven years, and in the fall of 1867 he came to Missouri, and settled on the farm where he now resides, containing 160 acres. Mr. Justice was married in St. Clair County, Illinois, August 27, 1856, to Miss Leandre E. Bagby, a daughter of Isom Bagby. She died in about six months. Mr. J. was again married October 21, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Pulliam, a daughter of John and Mary A. Pulliam. They have two children: James T. and Alice M., (wife of W. B. McHenry). Mr. and Mrs. McHenry, have one child, Fannie May, born October, 1881.